Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front axle problem HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Redfrog, Jun 12, 2001.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

about two months ago I noticed a grinding coming from the front end when I had my foot On the brakes and was turning the wheels while rolling foward and every once in awhile it would pop.this would not happen all the time. Then about two weeks ago I had a tie rod go bad and replaced all of my steering parts except the gear box.( IN THE RAIN!!) then the noise became a everyday thing. Last weekend I replaced the drivers side wheel bearings( I could not do the passenger side because no body had the seal I have one now and will be doing it tommarrow) any way the drivers side was shot and the passenger side was still good and tight (no slop)
    I put new warn hubs on also I have not taken it to be aligned yet because I will be doing my ball joints soon also. the grinding is gettin worst it is almost to the point that I don't want to drive it until I can get it figured out. Also when on black top when I apply the brakes at slow speeds the tires screech like it is making the tire go strait when it wants to move left or vice-versa, they also do it when I turn. It almost seems like the brakes are hanging up when the wheels are turned to extreme left or right at a coast. this is on my 79' with a ten bolt it has 31's so the tires are not rubbing. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! If I confused anybody let me know and I will try to explain better sorry this is so long but I have no idea what the heck is going on!!

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Mine doesn't do the grinding, but it used to pop when I was backing up at full lock - turned out to be the swaybar.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.coloradok5.com>http://pugsley.coloradok5.com</A>

3. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Dude, my [censored] does the same thing with the popping. It's coming from my front brakes, I think? There was also a grinding when I would apply the brakes, and for some reason, every now and then I still hear it. I did put new brakes on it and it stopped, but it did it yesterday.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

4. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Put new brakes on three months ago before all of this
    S@!T started

take to get rid of you

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Granted they might be new brakes, but you may want to pull and check the pads. It sounds to me like you MAY have gotten a bad set (with shi# mixed into the pad) and didn't know it until they wore some, or something may have gotten wedged in between. Sorry but that is all I can think of without actually hearing/seeing it.

If you didn't built it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When you did your brakes did you replace the calipers? They might be getting close to siezed and are hanging up...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

7. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

is there anyway to tell if they are hanging up besides the obvious. If they were hanging up the grinding would happen when I was breaking when going strait wouldn't it. The only time the grinding happens is when the wheels are turned more than half way.

take to get rid of you

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Did you cut the rotors when you changed the pads? If they're rough, they'll grind against the pads, and the pads will never wear true to the rotor.
    Also, like Rene said, check your calipers. I think rebuilt calipers are about $10 around me (where everything is expensive), and they're pretty much cake to put in.
    Another thing you might want to check that could make a caliper hold is the hose from steel line to caliper. I had one collapse internally on my old camaro, and it wreaked havoc on my front end. The hose would send pressure to the caliper fine, but wouldn't let the pressure release from the caliper. It worked like a check valve, and roasted a the pads real quick.

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**

9. Does it sound like the tires are rubbing sometimes? Mine does this but in the rear, I too think it is the brakes but have replaced all the pads and shoes, still doing it. With mine the scary thing is the sound of the tires rubbing, but they're not.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

10. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

My ball joints made a bad sound that sounded like tires and they also popped when they were bad. The grinding has to be in the brakes somewhere. I would look at the pads, make sure the calipers are good and look at the rotor.
    That one bearing might be making the grinding too.

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

11. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

In a way thats what it sounds like. but they are not...

take to get rid of you

12. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

did you get the breaks hot? if the rotor is a purpleish color that could be a sign...if thats the case then you might have glazed over your break pads and causing it to squeek...if you were hard on the breaks to first 500 or so miles thats more then likly the prob...i have had to do mine a few times because i am so hard on the breaks.

Donations accepted for the "Build Chaz's 1972 K5 fund"!!!

13. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Nope thet look fine and they are smooth this is no vibration from a (warped)rotor either

take to get rid of you

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Is your rotor loose?? How about the caliper? If it's only on turns, it might be the rotor leaning into something on the spindle. If the rotor is loose, the whole angle of it would change during turns. Can you jack it up and move the wheel around to check for play? I mean up and down/in and out, while watching your spindle. Maybe the balljoints are actually good, and the rotor is the problem, but it looks like the balljoints...

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**

15. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all of the input I guess I will drive it nice and easy
    until this weekend and yank out the ball joints. hopefully that is what it is..

take to get rid of you

16. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

Is your blazer still full time? If so, I would take the cover off the pumpkin and make sure you don't have something going on in there. My '79 was making a howling sound in the front end. I pulled the cover and saw that the diff was about ready to part ways with the carrier. I would take a look in there if all else fails.