Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Axle Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lee, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Lee

Lee Registered Member

Another question for anyone out there....I have a 78 K5 4 wheel drive. When I make sharp turns it feels like the front tires start to bind up and they start chirping against the pavement because they apparently are not turning. I don't know what the hell the problem is...it does not do this all the time only on really sharp fast hard turns and never in a straight line. It also seems to do it more often when I take it out of the hi loc to normal driving.... any clues???

Lee

2. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

is there a locker in this front end?fulltime hubs?

eatin'fords and shittin'dodges down in the sunshine state.

3. Lee

Lee Registered Member

I do know that this is a fulltime 4x4 and all I have to do to lock it up is shift the floor shifter to high loc from hi. It is a Cheyenne model if that make a difference.

Lee

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That's a "feature" of having full time 4WD and a straight front axle. A single u-joint doesn't transmit power smoothly when the wheel is turned. The bearing cups actually move in an elliptical pattern. On a driveshaft, a properly phased u-joint at the other end of the shaft offsets this motion and results in smooth power transmission. But on your axle, the further you have the wheels cranked, then the more pronounced the effect of the single u-joint is felt.

The power to the wheel actually speeds up and slows down as the u-joint moves through its range of motion. Back when those full-time 4WD's first came out, the magazines referred to that behavior as "crow hopping", because of the way the front end hopped around tight corners. Today's IFS systems use constant velocity joints at the axles, so they don't exhibit this behavior.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. Lee

Lee Registered Member

Harry:

So what you are telling me is that this is normal behavior for this beast. Also, is there any way to fix it if I wanted to.

Lee

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, that's the nature of the beast. You can "fix" it by converting to part time 4WD. This involves installing some parts in the transfer case and installing locking hubs up front. Then you can leave it in 2WD when not driving off road. But if you live in snow country, the full-time 4WD is pretty handy. It would sure be nice here in Colorado Springs today. Parts of the roads are ice, other parts are packed snow, and still other parts are dry pavement. [​IMG]

BTW, click on the "Control Panel" link up top and edit your profile. It helps folks answer your questions when they know where you're located, what year your truck is, what mods it has etc. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...