Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Axle Question (3/4 D44)--bueller, bueller....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ut77gmc, Jun 16, 2001.

1. ut77gmc

ut77gmc Registered Member

Having lots of fun with the K15 today. Got my new transmission together (woohoo) (with the exception of a kickdown cable bracket that I need to fab up to my throttle cable mount) and started on my front end (ball joints, U-joints and any applicable seals....).

Nitty Gritty:
    I'm putting it back together after the mighty teardown and am missing a seal. I don't know what it's called, but it seals right against the spindle and mounts to the outer axle just outward of the u-joint. Is this an inner axle seal(?), and if so, does anyone have a manufacturer and/or part #. The rest of the operation looks pretty straightforward, but I've been to two of the cheapy parts houses tonight (Autozone, Checker) and they didn't know head or tail of what I was describing/showing them. (I don't see it in the computer under the part name....(I thought it would be an inner axle seal or a spindle seal)....gotta love modern parts stores, eh?) Please help me help my parts guys!

Thanks in advance....

'77 GMC K15 LWB.....likes to get muddy

2. ut77gmc

Oh, yeah. I did do a search (the archives), and Grim seems to be the man of great wise knowledge yet again, but if anyone has an answer, please let me know.

3. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

I can't remember the name of the parts store, it may be something with a J, but it is aroud 70th South on State Street. They carried the pinion seal for my Dana 44 that no on else did. My axle was generation 1 or and early version that they didn't make a lot of.

I wish I could remember the name. You may be able to find it in the phone book. I don't have one here right now or I'd look it up for you.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

When I got mine it came up under the brake stuff (seals and bearings). It came in a kit that had that seal, a part to make the seal fit a 69-72, the needle bearing that the stub shaft rides on, and a seal for that.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

yeah... it comes as a kit... the spindle seal and spindle bearing. I picked one up not too long ago for my 1/2ton D44... practically had to go behind the counter and do it myself... Man these 16 yr old kids should at least know what an axle shaft, steering knuckle, spindle, or Caliper is for cry'n out loud!

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you guys referring to the kit no. SBK-1? Its the spindle kit. Has the bearing, two rubber seals, and a plastic washer.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

7. ut77gmc

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to the parts store right now!

Anybody know anyone with a 3 piece tie rod? I'm sure the long piece of the 2 piece that I have is kind of spendy.... (I'll work on that another day. Gotta drive my big block and right now----it has a half of a tank of gas for now......)

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

The wise one has spoken... Ouuuuu [​IMG]! All bow now LOL [​IMG]... K3o probably has darn near every part # for 3/4 and 1 ton stuff memorized LOL

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

ROTFLMFAO!!! No, I dont know all the numbers, just the more important ones. SBK-1 falls into that category when I have to repack bearings for customers. [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

10. ut77gmc

Thanks K30 guy! That worked out really well. Now if I could have figured out a boss way to get that first spindle nut to line up with the washer that goes between it on my early style Spicer hubs, I'd be set. Just lining up the pin to fit the hole on the washer took me 15 minutes per side......(I feel really stupid....but that's how long it took).

I finally got my Autozone dude to look on the SHELF for SPK-1 and viola.....there's what I needed. He still tried to look it up in the computer after he found the part.....(maybe he still is...) I just paid and went out the door.

Thanks again, everybody......

11. ut77gmc

Oh, yeah...I'm down to a 1/4 tank now..........feel the gas in the secondary's.........ummmmm

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Maybe now is time to put in a "rock rod". That 2 piece tierod sucks (week and $$$). Your other option is to find one off of a dodge (they used 3 piece).

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust