Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front axle question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k2mslskier, Feb 3, 2007.

1. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

Could anyone tell me what comes on the front of an 86 3/4 ton Sub? I did some searching and I believe it's a heavy duty 10 bolt but just want to be sure. I'm thinking about swapping my 1/2 ton D44 with an 8 lug conversion for the frontend out of my friend's Suburban.

He really has his heart set on the 15" Chrome wagon wheels I have on my 74 K5 but they won't fit over his brake calipers. The one's on my D44 are already ground down.

I've looked on the tab in the lower right hand side of the diff but all I can see is either a 9 or an upside down 6. Am I being a moron and this is a Dana 60 or is it something else? This one is definitely beefier than my D44.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Andy

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

86 sub front axle will be a 10 bolt. The D44 is no stronger than the 10 bolt and 15" wheels will fit both axles. It is entirely possible that someone has already swapped a D60 into the sub and 15" wheels won't fit without grinding on the calipers. To ID a D60 look for king pins rather than ball joints and also only 3 U-bolts and the 2 bolts or studs on the passenger side chunk.

3. k2mslskier

Thanks 4x4high. Sorry it took so long for a response but your help helped. I was able to correctly identify it as a 3/4 ton 10 bolt. 4 U-bolts and ball-joints. I still went ahead with the swap figuring I could use it for awhile like that till I squander a D60 from somewhere. I told my mechanic today to be on the lookout for one.

One unfortunate problem we ran into today was the U-bolts that are on my 4" lifted 74 K5 won't fit around the tubes on the 3/4 ton 10 bolt. I guess they are thicker than the D44. I was able to hook up the one on the pumpkin and as well as the steering arm. It should be okay to run like that for a week or so till I can pick up some new ones right? Hah...j/k. The 74 is my project, it didn't move more than ten feet and won't for awhile.

Again, thanks for your help.

4. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

always use new u-bolts when swapping regardless of how "good" they look

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Not necessarily. Axle u-bolts are not "torque-to-yield".

6. k2mslskier

It doesn't really matter anyway, I just needed them on there to keep it a roller. Swapping all new stuff when I start my build.