Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FRONT AXLE QUESTION

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TB2Blazer, May 10, 2003.

1. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a 85 K5 blazer and I was reading the tech article on this website that describes how to convert a six lug axle to an eight lug axle and was wondering if I could take the parts out of the front axle of a two wheel drive 3/4 ton 85 suburban and put them in my existing ten bolt that I have on to make it an eight lug.

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Two wheel drive front axle?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> 2wds have A-arm suspension in the front, the parts are entirely different. You'll need parts from a 4x4. </font>

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a 85 K5 blazer and I was reading the tech article on this website that describes how to convert a six lug axle to an eight lug axle and was wondering if I could take the parts out of the front axle of a two wheel drive 3/4 ton 85 suburban and put them in my existing ten bolt that I have on to make it an eight lug.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope,. two totally different design trucks, you need to ind a 70s and up 3/4 ton 4x4 and swap knuckles and all onto your front axle housing

theres no front axle under a 2wd, thats your first major problem right there

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

On a different note...... will the caliper supports work? Or are they different too????

6. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

i had a pre i believe 76 model 44 w/ the 8 lug when i did my swap. (could be wronge with that 76 thing)but anyway there is a cutoff year when things were different. i had the later year. while i did the swap i noticed spindles, calipers, bearing etc, etc were the same. i also noticed that the backing plates did look the same. the 44bp were a bit more beefy though. but same diameter and all. i wondered the same thing, can i use them? never tried it out but if you do let me know cause i got a buddy who is about to do the same swap.

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

They're different, too