Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front axle seals

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76JimmyinAZ, Apr 28, 2000.

1. 76JimmyinAZ

76JimmyinAZ Registered Member

Hey everyone-
    My right front spindle assy has been pretty moist lately. I'm guessing it's the axle seal?? I'll look into it further before I fix, but, my question is this. How difficult is the seal replacement? I've had the calipers and rotors off before, replaced my manual hubs, replaced the wheel bearings, etc. Once I get to that level of disassembly, is there a whole lot more to get to the axle seals? My Chilton manual seems a little vague, and it doesn't LOOK that hard.... INPUT??

ILUVMYTRUK

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Actually once you get all that out of the way you just undo all the bolts in the spindle and the axle will come right out. Once both are out, remove the pumpkin cover. The seals are inside. Word to the wise, clean out the tubes while you are at it. Look the axles over good, especially where the seal rides on it. If there is much of a groove, sometimes replacing the seal does no good. You might have to replace the axle in the worst case. Good Luck...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Good answer but... he didnt go far enough. You have to pull out the diff carrier to change them. They are a major pain, I did it once on my last truck and I really dread the day when I have to do it again. This is a GM10 bolt that I did so it may be different but they were near impossible to get in straight, they are set way back in the tubes so a regular hammer wont cut it, you have to develope a method of holding it straight, putting a pipe or something the size of the seal and hitting that. It wasnt easy by any stretch. After lots of cursing and throwing stuff, I did get them done but...... Good Luck! [​IMG]

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

4. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I tried to do mine,, but couldn't get the carrier out, so I just said %$#^$%^#%@#$%$#^#$%#$% it, and put it all back together,,, good luck[​IMG]

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

5. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

The dana 44 is the same as it usees the same hubs, spindels, and knuckles. I replaced mine when I put in the are locker. and it was so much fun that I have let the right one go right on leaking for 3 years now!

6. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Sounds Like REAL fun there, Blazer72, Maybe I'll juwst wait till I have the bucks to do my gear swap and let the shop handle both at the same time LOL
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

7. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I wish I could but the gears are there and the locker so it maybe the time this fall it only needs to have oil when its in 4 wheel drive anyway !!!

8. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

If the noise is coming from the spindle area-it's probably not your axle seals. Do you have fluid running out the diff tubes? Is there fluid in the diff.-check to see. pull off spindle and check axle bearing that's inside the spindle-if you just repacked the hub bearings last time-then this is probably where the noise is coming from. Replacing the axle seals inside the diff. is a real pain.

9. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I wonder if GM has some cutsey special tool made just for putting the seals in, like a small hydralic ram that uses a boss the size of the seal and just powers it in?

And where did the noise factor come from???????

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

10. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

misread post-thought moist was noise for some reason