Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front axle seals

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Casey 86K5, Sep 2, 2000.

1. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

i am going to be replacing the u-joints in the front axles and i would like to replace the axle seals while i have it all apart, but i cant figure out how to get them out. do i have to pull the carrier out to replace them? is there a special tool involved? please help, my manual doesnt say anything about this.
    thanks.
    Casey

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Pry them out with a crowbar. Use a block of wood and a mallot when you install them. Old seal are jammed in there, but don;t be afraid to mess them up taking them out since you're replacing them. And take the old ones with you to the parts store because they have lots of variations and you want to get the right diameter one.
    -- Mike

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Pry them out with a crowbar. Use a block of wood and a mallot when you install them. Old seal are jammed in there, but don;t be afraid to mess them up taking them out since you're replacing them. And take the old ones with you to the parts store because they have lots of variations and you want to get the right diameter one.
    -- Mike

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

If you are reffering to the front wheel seals in the rotors, then Txmudder's way will work fine. If you are talking about the axle seals in the pumpkin. Yes you have to remove the carrier, its not a big deal as long as you are careful and mark you bearing caps for which side and also up. Then be very careful when you pull the carrier, make sure to keep the races on the right sides and to also keep any shims that may be presend on the right sides. As long as you put it back the same way it came out and with the same parts on the same sides, you wont have to reset your gear pattern, I have done this myself.

Now, once you have it out, use a long steel rod, I used my hydrolic jack handle, and tap them out to the inside, they are usually pretty easy to get out. Putting the new ones back in however is FUN, its a royal pain in the ass. Go to the hardware store and find a piece of schedule 40 pvc pipe that the seals fit into snug, buy a couple of feet and make yourself about 4 small 3 to 4 inch pieces of it. Use your hammer to drive the new seals in with the pvc as a punch. Take your time and be careful, they go sideways allot and you have to start again.

Also before you put them in, make a half moon shaped scraper with a long piece of steel rod, use that to scrape out the axle tubes before you put the new sealse in, otherwise when you put the axle shafts back in, you will plow all the dirt and crud right into your new seals.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

5. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like I'll be having fun tomorrow! thanks for the help guys!

6. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Its really not all that hard, just a pita and time consuming.

Good Luck
    Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My bud showed me a GREAT trick for getting the long side in without getting dirt on the splines that I had completly forgotten about. Take a peice of PVC pipe about 3 ft long and split it down the length to form a crecent peice of PVC. slide this into the axle tube and use it to slide the shaft on since it's clean. Leave it in the tube it won't hurt a thing. I have one in my 79 thats been there 3 years without a problem. Sweet deal here is if you ever break that shaft and have to replace it in the feild you can fish the PVC out wipe it clean and get a replacement shaft installed without spending all that time cleaning out the tube. The short side is short enough that you can guide it in without dragging the tube. This may or may not work on a D44 but I know it works on a 10 bolt. D 44 has thicker walls so the inside diameter is smaller but I think it should work fine as long as you use PVS that has close to the same radius as the inside of the axle tube.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/