Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front axle sliping on springs

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by bryanhunt, Jul 30, 2002.

1. bryanhunt

bryanhunt Newbie

I'm new to this forum so if this has been discussed before I appologize but I couldn't find anything poseted that would answer my question.

So basically here's the story. I purchased (About half a year ago) a k20 really cheap (so far hasn't given me too many problems, made a 1600 mile trip on the 4th no problem). So anyways it came lifted about 4" (judging by the size of the rear blocks) and since I've had it the front axle has been shifting rearward so it is not about 3/4" rear of where I would guess it belongs and recently I've noticed the right turning radius getting larger.

Does this sound like what would happen if somebody left the stock swaybar in there and didn't put anything in there to correct it? (like the offroad design kit) Or does it sound deeper rooted problem like springs? (which I'm planning on replacing at some time but don't really have the money for at the moment)

Thanks,
    Bryan

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you may have a broken center pin in the spring pack. Take the top cap off the Ubolts and grab the nut in the center of the spring pack with some pliers. If the nut comes out with part of the bolt you'll know that that's whats wrong.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Axle definitely shouldn't be shifting....there is a centering pin in the spring pack that LOCKS it into position by resting in a hole on the top of the spring perch....

Sounds like at the very least you need to drop that axle and replace BOTH spring pins (to be safe) and bolt it back up.

Then just periodically check your u-bolt torques ~150 Lb/Ft to make sure those aren't working loose on you....

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Yup, do what they said.

5. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Ive seen this happen very often and ive also seen these centering pins break out on the trail.No fun to replace out in the woods.Also look at the holes where the pins fall into
    on the perches on the axle,most of the time they are oblonged from the axle moving too much.Ive taken all my leaf springs apart and oversized the 3/8 holes to 1/2 inch and got new 1/2 inch spring center pins.Then oversized the perches on the axles to 3/4 inch which is the head size of the 1/2 inch pins.At least a 50% increase in shear strength
    and the pin head is now located in a nice new tight hole,no more movement!!!!!!!!!Maybe overkill but we /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif like it that way!

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If i were to have to replace my pins, what would I replace them with...new pins or can I just use a bolt?

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You need new center pins to replace them with. A center pin is a special bolt made for this type of use. You can get them at spring shops or 4WPW and other places.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I take it they come in varying lengths?

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You buy them longer than you need. After they're bolted up tight you cut off the extra.

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

ah ok, cause i'm rebuilding my front ones with an extra leaf and would need a little longer.

11. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i use 3/8s allen head bolts , grade 8 . perfect , never had one break and i well ,wheel the wee out of it .