Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front axle swap ...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mydnyte, Sep 20, 2004.

1. mydnyte

mydnyte Registered Member

I just bought a 77 K20 with the cheyenne\camper special package. It has a SB400/T400/NP203 (203 has had the Doug nash part time kit done and warn hubs). The a*s end is a corp 14 bolt limited slip with 1 ton brakes. The front end has an open Dana 44. When I say "open" I REALLY mean open. As in I shattered the carrier which in turn lunched the ring and pinion.

Here is my question. I found a used corp 12 bolt front end in a bone yard for the same price the parts to fix the 44 will run me. Is this a simple swap? What if anything will need to be changed to do this swap? Please be specific here.

Thankyou all in advance.

Clifford.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I found a used corp 12 bolt front end

[/ QUOTE ] Could you post pictures of that ??? It must be a ultra rare item because I've never heard of one. If you have the funds, a Dana 60 is the prefered front axle. BTW, the factory front axle for a 77 K20 should be a Dana 44.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Do you mean corporate 10 bolt front? There was never a corp. 12 bolt front made. There are corp. 12 bolt rears but no fronts.

Harley

4. mydnyte

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I know the factory front end in 77 was a D44. I am saying is the axle you are talking about replacing it with a corporate 10 bolt? There is no such thing as a corporate 12 bolt front axle.

Harley

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/facts/axles/axlefacts.htm

Scroll down a ways.

The factory front end in my 77 is in fact a dana 44.

Aside from the question of the 12 bolt, will a dana 60 bolt right in if I choose to go that route?

[/ QUOTE ]

D60 is pretty near a direct bolt in deal. Your brake lines would need changing from the 7/16" banjo bolt type you have to the 10 mm banjo type that bolts up to the D60.

From your link: GM CORPORATE 12-BOLT
    The stronger 12-bolt, with an 8 7/8-inch-diameter ring gear, can be found in various 1964-82 GM 1/2- and 3/4-ton front- and rearends.
    [

This information is incorrect. As stated already there never was a 12 bolt front. D44, Corp 10 bolt and D60 were the only three front ends used.

Rene

7. mydnyte

The man at the bone yard must have thought that I was looking for a rear end then, thanks for setting that right.

If I were to go to a Dana 60 from a 44 would I have to change the front yoke on the drive shaft or use a different type of U-joint? Would the drive shaft have to be modified?

If the Dana 60 thing doesnt pan out then is there a stronger carrier I can use without going to a locker? When I need four wheel drive it will 98% of the time be due to mud and I have heard that lockers in the front affect steering in mud.

8. tRustyK5

The D60 uses the same 1310 yoke the D44 and corp 10 bolt use...so the driveshaft will bolt up. The pinion length on the D60 may be a bit longer, so it's possible the front shaft will need shortening.

D60's are spendy, but still cheaper than upgrading a D44 or 10 bolt. Usually the axle shaft U-joints blow in open D44's and 10 bolts rather than the carriers...

What size tires are you running?

Rene

9. hawk368

hawk368 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I found a used corp 12 bolt front end

[/ QUOTE ] Could you post pictures of that ??? It must be a ultra rare item because I've never heard of one. If you have the funds, a Dana 60 is the prefered front axle. BTW, the factory front axle for a 77 K20 should be a Dana 44.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif One of my best friends is running a 12-bolt front in his 71' K10. It's a closed knuckle axle. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif One of my best friends is running a 12-bolt front in his 71' K10. It's a closed knuckle axle. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

71 K10 should have had a d44 up front with discs and open knuckles. There were no 12 bolt frontends made. In '71, you could only get the dana 44 in 1/2 and 3/4 tons, and the only one ton aftermarket option was Napco, which would use an Eaton/napco front axle with 10 bolts. Got pics?

11. tRustyK5

One or both of you need to count the cover bolts again. D44, Corp 10 bolt and D60 front ends all had 10 bolt covers. There was no 12 bolt front end.../forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Rene

12. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

but i drilled and tapped for 2 more bolts on my d44 /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. hawk368

hawk368 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

71 K10 should have had a d44 up front with discs and open knuckles. There were no 12 bolt frontends made. In '71, you could only get the dana 44 in 1/2 and 3/4 tons, and the only one ton aftermarket option was Napco, which would use an Eaton/napco front axle with 10 bolts. Got pics?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I can try to track him down, He moved out of town. But only about 30 miles away. If He still has the truck I'll get pic's. OK.. But it is a closed knuckle axle. I helped fix the seals in it before.I don't know if it came that way or if it was some aftermarket thing. But we had to pull one of the spiders out and put it in the rear to limp him out of the mountains once when he blew the spiders in the rear.

14. mydnyte

[ QUOTE ]

D60's are spendy, but still cheaper than upgrading a D44 or 10 bolt. Usually the axle shaft U-joints blow in open D44's and 10 bolts rather than the carriers...

What size tires are you running?

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I am running 265/75R/16's. The carrier had an old crack in it and I just finished it off

15. tRustyK5

i'd run an open D44 then...it should last you a long time and live under those tires easily.

Rene

16. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Agreed /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

17. mydnyte

I found a used GM type dana60, 8 lug, disc brake, 4.10:1 gearing (Like my rear end) for $650.00. Discs are rusty and it is missing one lug. Going to pop it open and look at the 3rd member Saturday.

Might just go with repairing the Dana44 in the rig though, got a quote for new ring and pinion, loaded carrier and all new bearings/races/seals for $550.00 done it a very reputable shop

Hard to decide.

18. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I found a used GM type dana60, 8 lug, disc brake, 4.10:1 gearing (Like my rear end) for $650.00. Discs are rusty and it is missing one lug. Going to pop it open and look at the 3rd member Saturday.

Might just go with repairing the Dana44 in the rig though, got a quote for new ring and pinion, loaded carrier and all new bearings/races/seals for $550.00 done it a very reputable shop

Hard to decide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you don't buy the D60, make sure you post up where it is. There are plenty of guys looking for one, and that's a great price if it's not messed up.

19. mydnyte

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Hard to decide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you don't buy the D60, make sure you post up where it is. There are plenty of guys looking for one, and that's a great price if it's not messed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, upon further investigation it turns out that the Dana60 I was looking at is only an axlehousing, knuckles and steering assembly with a welded carrier inside. I am going to just have the Dana44 in the truck re-built and start shopping for a Dana60 with a change out in mind.

Thanks for all the help guys!

C.

20. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

has anyone seen those pics of the 14 bolt front end. is that custom i didnt know they exsisted?