Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front axle to 8 lug questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unicknn, Mar 24, 2003.

1. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

What will I need to convert me stock front axle on my 87 K5 from 6 lug to 8 lug? How much will it cost?

lmk
    Nick

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

backing plates, rotors, hubs, and studs. if you go new you ar eprobably looking at 200 or so, if you go to a scrap yard or get parts from folks on here probably 50-100. and the swap if fairly painless

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

thats about it. I usually get 50.00 for the hubs, studs, and backing plates. no rotors. (most of the ones I get are junk anyways) you can get new rotors for about 35.00 each. I don't have any as of now, but keep your eye's on the for sale board. they come up now and then.

4. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

here we go again..j/k

I was in your position about 2 months ago, well I did the swap and cost me 200.00 in parts then 50.00 for 2 new rotors about another 75.00 in bearing, races, and seals also a good time to replace the u-joints and ball joints as well as break pads. I have alot of info from fellow members too so if you want it I can pm it to ya. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What would I do if I would do it again?

I would have bought a 8 lug 10 bolt to start with, this can easily be done for around $200.00-350.00 and you may find a gear ratio you need or want. The conversion isn't hard it just has alot of cost that come up and swapping an axel would have less down time. The only reason I would keep your stock housing is if you already sank money in gears and lockers or the like. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What would I do if I would do it again?

I would have bought a 8 lug 10 bolt to start with, this can easily be done for around $200.00-350.00

[/ QUOTE ]

I got me a front 8 lug with 4.10 for 180 dollars.
    Then had the shop rebuild it, that probably cost another couple hundred.

6. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

i'm about to do this also and was wondering if the spindles can be reused and are the bearing and races the same?what about the calipers?
    thanks,
    Jerry

7. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

no spindles? no knuckles? this is the next thing on my agenda

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

they all forgot the new rims and if you go bigger on the rims, new tires...

9. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Please check out http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=partsforsale&Number=696760&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Price is for the whole lot of stuff, i can seperate
    I just rebuilt this entire front axle about 1500 miles ago. It has new ball joints, wheel bearings, rotors, calipers, pads, inner axle seals, u-joints.

It also has warn premium hubs, 4.10's, and a eaton posi. I have lots of spare parts if interested. Axle would go very well with a 14-bolt rear!!!

I'm only getting rid of it because i got a dana 60!

Thanks - doug

10. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

This is a great deal in my opinion, by the time you do all this to yours you could have just bought this one! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

well i have a 77 1 ton 14 bolt with 4.56 gears and a detroit.my front is a 6 lug 10 bolt with 4.56 gears open.my tires and rims are steel 8 lug rims and my tires are just some plain old 36-13 -16 tsl so since my front is new all the way through i am going to just buy the backing plates hubs and rotors.i read the article about swapping to 8 lug ,but that guy just baught new spindles it doesn't say whether or not they were needed.i have 4 sets of spindles and dont want to give $100 a piece for them if i dont have to.
    thanks,
    Jerry

12. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Nope, you dont need new spindles. Just get a rotor/hub assembly for an '87 K2500 Suburban (3/4 ton). Usually the assemblies will come with the studs already pressed on. From there all you need is the backing plates and the lockouts. You can re-use the stock auto locking hubs if you want to, but who would want to do that? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Getting new bearings is a good call too.

13. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

replaced my bearings last week.my warn lockouts will work too right?where would one buy those backing plates at?i've got new calipers also will those work with the 3/4 ton stuff?
    thanks,
    Jerry

14. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    replaced my bearings last week.my warn lockouts will work too right?where would one buy those backing plates at?i've got new calipers also will those work with the 3/4 ton stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

ttt cause i want the answer to this question too.