Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Axle U Joint??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by equalizer, Oct 13, 2003.

1. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    Hey guys, replacing the front axles u joints on my blazer (dana 44) and i ve run into a problem.or so i think. i went to napa, they measured the u joints i took off, gave me a new set...problem is, they don't seem to fit properly.. more specifcally, i can get one c-clip in, but the other just does not got far enough in (maybe with a press, i don't know) to get the other c-clip..if its just a matter of taken it to a shop fine. if anyone has had this problem, let me know what you did. taken them back is fine, but i don't want to look like an idiot taken back the right parts that would have been fine had i took them to a shop to get press in properly...thanks for any input
    regards

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I would try hammering it in some more, I prefer to use a socket that is a little smaller than the cap to make sure the hammer itself does not hit the yoke. If this is the first time the u-joints have been replaced, it can be a little difficult to remove and replace them.

Also, I have never needed to take a part in with me to Napa to get a replacement. They have always done very well, for me, to get me the right part the first time.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Pull it apart and check to make sure you didn't knock a needle out. If you're about a needle bearing's worth short of getting the clip in that usually means that's what you did.

I always end up knocking one bearing out per universal and that's with a press.

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Bent ears are a common problem. How did you remove the U-joint? It's possible to bend the shaft ears without knowing it. If you have the other side apart, compare the 2, and see if the I.D. is the same. Chances are the U-joint is correct, and you have a needle loose in one of the caps, or bent ears. Post up on what you find.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What year is your axle and what part number u joints did you get?

6. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    Thanks for the info guys. Its a 72 K5 dana 44 front axle...the u joint number i ve got is 210-1200....I checked for needles, no problems there...Trust me, the new u joints seem right, and the snap ring area is just slightly off than the old ones. Its just that once I get the first snap ring in, it just doesn't seem to me that the other side will go in...I'm a newbie, but I've went by the book until now and been cruising. Also seems to me that taken apart is easier (and funner) than putting back together. Thanks again
    Marc

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem when I tried using the Spicer U-joints that came with my truck in the glove compartment--and I'm no novice at doing u-joints!.I tried spreading the ears apart,hammers,presses--finally I went to the parts store and bought 2 neapco U-joints,and they went wright in!!--I never did find out why those spicer ones wouldn't fit,according to the catolog they were the correct #,and crossedover to the neapco # in the interchange--they are still sitting in a drawer in the garage--maybe they will fit somthing someday! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

if it is less than half the clip width off, you can slighty "tweak" the ears of the yoke out enough to get proper clip seating. just tap witha hammer on the edges of the yoke outward until you have enought gap for slide the clip in. take it for what its worth, it has worked for me, but i also have started tack welding all my caps to the yokes since the clips like to work themselves off running 40's on a D44.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Last time mine failed I thought they worked off..but they didn't. Clips held the joint in until the cross broke.