Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front axle

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by ed1507, Mar 25, 2003.

1. ed1507

ed1507 Registered Member

any one have there start to gring like its trying to lock in it stop when i lock it in seem like it the passanger side doing it have any ideas? ed.

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I had a hard time understand what you were asking there /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Maybe you are talking about the front axle disconnect grinding? There is a vacuum actuator that engages/disengages the front axle disconnect. Check your vacuum lines for leaks and/or the diaphram on the actuator to see if it is working properly. The diaphram is located on the passenger side inner fender.

3. ed1507

ed1507 Registered Member

lets see if i can explane it better when the truck is in 2wd theres times a grindind sounds comes from the right front wheel when i slow down with out hitting the lock in it makes alarge clunk i was told theres a pressed in baering in the a-arm that might be going bad i have nevr delt with the cv type axles befor was wondering if any one else ever had any thing like this happen if you lock it in when the grind starts it stops u hear the mesh of the gears becuse so far it happens at speeds over 50mph ed.

4. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had something that sounded like that and the front end was out of fluid!! Take the fill plug out and see if there is anything in there. I got me a seal leak to deal with right now with my front diff.