Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front axles keep spinning???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TONYP, Aug 17, 2003.

1. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I have a np205 and can't seem to get the front axles to stop spinning, what should I look for....hubs not unlocking, the 205 sticking or should they spin alittle?
    Thanks... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Jack the frontend up and spin a tire while holding it's steering u-joint and see if the u-joint will stay still and the tire will spin, if it won't and there still locked together it's a hub problem. If it's unlocked, then try spinning the driveshaft while the front hubs are unlocked and t-case is in 2hi and see if you can spin it, should spin easily by hand. If it doesn't turn, then it's your t-case...

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

bang the tcase crossmember on anything recently? maybe its sticking in 4wd..or maybe the hubs arent disengaging all the way..i had that problem with my toyota, found out the spring was broken inside the hub..

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

With a 205 there is some drag. The front may spin even in 2wd w/ the hubs unlocked. It is normal. To check for a problem: case in 2HI, hubs unlocked, trans in park (auto) or 1st (std) grab the front shaft and try to spin, if you can turn it by hand its fine. If not, normal troubleshooting to find the prob.

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

going to check it out right now.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

just checked it...the drive shaft spins in park so it must just be some drag in the T-case..thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif