Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front axles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigdaddy89, Nov 2, 2000.

1. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

Does anybody have some front axles that will fit a 89-91 10 bolt that they want to get rid of? I broke the u-joint on mine and in the process bent the ears on the short and long axles. I posted this on the parts section, but haven't found any yet. Thanks.

2. bigdaddy89

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    You might want to try Dana, because accorrding to this web site thats who made them.
    There are many many Dana dealers in your area.
    And if its anything like the Dana(Spicer) 44 axles, they are very reasonably priced new.
    Maybe its time for your company to become a Dana Warehouse !
    Good luck

4. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I work for Dana and we don't sell to the general public. Try Boyce Equipment or your local junkyard, try even buying a whole parts truck and take off the pieces you need.

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

5. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

The best place is a salvage yard. Here in Denver, they go for $25 each which includes inner and outer shafts with joint. If you wheel hard, there's no reason to buy new ones since you're just going to break them again (excludes Dana 60). It's always good to keep a full set in your truck for spares. www.car-part.com is another good source.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Go ahead and order the cromoly ones from Offroad design, if you have the money.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Or you can buzz "bigbad82k5", he's got a parts blazer and is getting ready to go to the 14 rear and 60 front i think. So if you can wait till he gets his swapped out, he may be able to hook you up.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

8. Executioner

If you don't mind me asking, what part of Dana do your work for ?
    If you have acess to say 1975-1985 catalogs, what'a make some money for going some research ?
    Thanks alot

9. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I work for Clevite Engine Parts. What kind of questions do you have, maybe I can look it up for you.

Zeppelin

10. Shawn

I've also seen busted chrome moly shafts. Don't get me wrong, the shafts are stronger but it's the u-joint that breaks. When the u-joint gives, there's so much force that it will break the CM shaft. The u-joint is always the weak point. Shaggy on off-road.com broke his CM shafts twice.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The biggest problems with this post is that he probably needs the 30 spline front 10-bolt axles which were only found on the '89-'91 Blazers and Suburbans. I'm also looking for these and have called every junkyard in a 100 mile radius.
    The ORD chromoly ones would be nice, but the 30-spline 10-bolts are considered special order and were going to cost over a $100 (I forget the exact price) more than the standard 28 spline 10-bolt of Dana 44 chromoly shafts.
    OEM shafts are available through the dealer. It's been a while since I priced them, but for some reason I'm thinking that they really were not much higher than buying new shafts from one of the big gear and axle shops (which usually can't get them, or don't even know there was a 30-spline 10-bolt, or think the Dana 44 axleshafts are the same, etc., etc...).

Concerning Dana making the 10-bolt axle stuff, I really don't think this is true. I have talked with several people who have worked for Dana for years and none thought they had ever made 10-bolt stuff. It also doesn't make sense. Why would GM spend tons a money to have Dana manufacture the 10-bolt when Dana already had plants setup to produce the 44....which is basically the eqivalent axle.

12. bigdaddy89

I do need the 30 spline. I just want to do a quick fix for now, because I am planning to do an upgrade later down the road.

13. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I don't work for the axle division for Dana, but I'm sure I could find out if they did make the 10 bolt. As far as I know they didn't. Why make two front axles when Dana could have sold the Dana 44 to GM in the first place.

Zeppelin

14. Executioner

About Dana making the 10 Bolt, I agree with you, but this web site gives the FACT's and
    that's what some of the poster insist on.

I don't think we will ever know the TRUTH( Fact's)

15. Shawn

I just pulled up 2 pages on 89-91 Chevy Suburbans on www.car-part.com. Yeah, some might be 2wd but I'm willing to bet half are 4x4's. I didn't check the Blazers (since they mix S-10's sometimes) or any GMC models. I don't see what the difference between a 44 and 10 bolt 30 spline shaft would be. They should be the same length on both inner and outer shafts. I doubt Dana ever made GM 10 bolt shafts but they might be close enough. I'd be curious if they really do interchange.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

16. bigdaddy89

If I remember correctly, Emmettology101 tried switching them and said that they fit fine. So I guess I could use some out of a dana 44. But did they make any with 30 spline? Mike was this true?

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I recall someone saying that as well. I think there was an issue about the actual shape of the splines themselves (contact angle, I believe). That could be a show-stopper.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

18. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

yea the contact angle is a little different and the dana 44 is about 3/4 of an inch longer. I know cuz i just went through all of this. Also my 88 has 30 spline axles.

Bill Innes
    88' Jimmy
    [​IMG]

19. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The 30 spline 10-bolt and the Dana 44 front axle shafts are not the same. The reason I know this is that I've spend countless hours trying to get the correct parts for my '90, both when I installed the gears and posi and when searching for replacement axle shafts. I also had a pretty lengthy discussion with Stephen Watson at ORD about this when looking at going with the chromoly shafts. When I first talked to him he didn't know front 30 spline 10 bolt axles existed and his webpage has been updated since then. Even all of the "big" axle shops who advertised in the magazines didn't have the right information, with most of them listing the 30 spline 10 bolt as using the same axles as the Dana 44.

The differences between Dana 44 and 30 spline 10 bolt shafts (or more accurately the inner shafts, the outer stub shafts are the same) include a different overall length to accomodate a different offset of the differential, a different pressure angle on the splines, and a difference in the location of the machined inner seal service.

Could you put a Dana 44 axle in a 10-bolt??.......it would probably physically fit but I would be worried about other issues, mainly the seal surface and you will be losing about half of the spline engagement on one side because the shaft is shorter.

About breaking the chromoly shafts, sure you can still break them when the u-joint goes. Just remember that Shaggy (from the off-road.com board) is also running 38x15.50 Swampers and ORD only really recommends the 10 bolt or Dana 44 up to 36" tires.

I have a picture comparing the right side (short side) inner Dana 44 and 30 spline 10-bolt axles that shows these differences. I had to take it and send it to the shop that sent me a 44 shaft when I ordered a 10-bolt shaft. I had to argue with them and finally take a picture and send it to them in order to get a refund because they insisted that the 44 and 10-bolt axles were the same. If anybody wants to see it, I'll be more than happy to e-mail it.

20. Shawn

Good info 6.2. I guess the only option is the newer 10 bolts in the yards.

Bigdaddy, did you have any luck with the online yards?

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]