Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front axleshaft removal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coolhandluke, Aug 3, 2003.

1. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to get out the front drivers side axle shaft, to replace the u-joint on a 3/4 ton axle. I have everthing off, down to the outer-shaft, However, I can't seem to pull the shafts out through the knuckle, the u-joint keeps getting stuck. Do you have to remove the entire knuckle to get the shafts out? suggestions?

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

no the knuckle doesnt need to come off. Is it hanging up somewhere in the diff? or at the knuckle? It should just pull out through the knuckle.

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

You should not have to remove the knuckle to get the shaft out. Make sure the knuckle is positioned like it would be if the wheels were pointed directly forward. In other words, make sure the opening in the knuckle and the axle tube are concentric. The shaft should then pull out. The clearances are pretty tight so you have to make sure everything is lined up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW....the front axle doesn't use C-clips. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well i guess you got the spindle off eh? lol...the knuckle needs to be pointed as if you were driving straight, then the axle shaft will come out, might take a couple good tugs to break it out..

5. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

We got it out. thanks guys.