Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Bar

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve_Chin, May 7, 2001.

1. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I just finished mounting the front anti-sway bar to my Blazer. Huge difference in handling. It is much flatter and more responsive to steering input. It understeers a bit, so it needs a little bit of a rear bar to balance it out. I might be able to get by on an air pressure adjustment, but I'm not sure about how that'd affect wear.

Anyhow, I used a stock front bar and spring anchor plates off of a '78 Blazer 4x4 and fabricated frame mounts (didn't like how the stock perches off of the later Blazer would have looked and worked). I'll try to borrow a digital camera and post pix to my web site later.

2. Steve_Chin

OK, I got the pictures taken and they're on my Blazer's page:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1963/BlazerPix.html>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1963/BlazerPix.html</A>

3. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

Looks good, nice job.

4. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Steve,

That’s a sweet bit of fabrication! I think it looks great… and well thought out. It’s got to make a huge difference in the handling. Well done! Will you be able to implement quick-disconnects too?

5. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Steve
    Great execution! Is your bar solid or tubular? I have one from an 86 K2500 that appears to be solid, although I have heard that many of these bars were tubes with solid ends.
    Take care
    JB

6. Steve_Chin

Thanks, guys.

I will be able to use QDs once I put lift on the Blazer. There just isn't room between the frame and the bar to accomodate QDs without lift. Even with lift, I think that if the bar is connected and the suspension compresses fully, I'm going to have a contact problem.

The bar is solid. It's too heavy to be hollow. I don't know if GM would have gone to the trouble of using hollow stock when making the bar solid is cheaper to do...