Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Blocks-Clarification

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Jan 9, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

why EXACTLY are front blocks bad? Why would thye slip out and why dont rear blocks slip out as front ones would? Im just wondering, im not gunna do it or anything but just hear alot of people preaching that these are horrible.

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 35" BFG Muds, Series 40 delta flow 3" tips
    Coming Soon: All springs, shocks, and body work

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Because the front axel steers, the blocks would be subject to extream forces, forces not usually associated with a rear axel application, side forces as well as front/back forces, which can cause them to work loose and spit out, Imagine you're in a turn and the block spits out, the truck suddenly turns one way or the other and you loose all control, run off the road and kill yourself, or worse run out into traffic and take somebodyelse with you. ya Front blocks are a really bad idea.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Oh wow, never thought of that, good point. Thanks for clarification

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 35" BFG Muds, Series 40 delta flow 3" tips
    Coming Soon: All springs, shocks, and body work

4. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

there was a blazer in a parking lot by my house, for sale....

they had pimped it out with 6 inches of front lift block....SWEET!!

greg

** i'm so money **

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

very dramatic.
    fact is front blocks are common on thousands of vehicles.
    marmon harrington 4x4 conversion 5 ton trucks used by places like tree service companies and electric companies have front lift blocks.
    many commercial vehicles use them on the steering axle.
    I am not endosing the idea in fact I hate it

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I've seen them on a school bus too, however it was on a 2wd w/a drop-beam axle, the bottom of the spring was still below the hub ctr line.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Good question - I even wonder about some of the guys using the ORD zero rate on the front. Seems even the 1" could add some potential for breaking the pack free. Not sure, but I wonder............

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've seen those big trucks too and it made me wonder. I would love to know how they stay together. Maybe it's those 1"+ ubolts torqued to 350 ft/lb? (I'm guessing so don't blow me out if I'm off) However, just for clarification for those new to this hobby, regardless of whether you see it on big trucks, or even on show queens and ghetto rigs, this is BAD for any 4WD lift. These DO fail with (as MJ said) dramatic consequences. I've seen the results, and you don't want to be involved. Most states outlaw front lift blocks (but apparently not for big trucks?) due to the safety issues. DON'T EVEN LET IT CROSS YOUR MIND, IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD THE LIFT, ***WAIT TILL YOU CAN***

As for zero rates, how would they be any different (better or worse) than an extra leaf or over-load? They are longer than any block, so they are able to distribute fore-aft axle torque into the spring pack rather than adding additional tension load to the u-bolts. They are only 1" taller adding negligible additional leverage for side-to-side forces, certainly no more than 2 extra leafs or a over-load. Plus, they can no more "spit out" than the aforementioned over-loads since, unlike blocks, they are bolted into the pack. I would never run so much as a 2" front block, or even a 1" block just shoved in between the u-bolts, but I would not hesitate (and may in reality) to run the longer, bolted in 1" zero-rate in the front. To each there own though. Many people won't drive a lifted truck due to safety concerns, or with mud tires, or…

JMO

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

9. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

The blocks in the front have no affect on the leaf pack itsself. What it does is kinda like the guy who balances spinning plates on mop handles. Yea it will support it but sooner or later there is going to be some breakage. There is no support at any angle. So whenever there is pressure(say in turning a corner) there is a large amount of force on the block.

"If it aint broke don't fix it" is like a 4 letter word.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.phatboy.alloffroad.com>PhatBoy.AllOffRoad.com </a>

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I'm surprised nobody has stated the fact that they are ILLEGAL !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

11. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I've said this here before, but...IMO the 1" zero rates should not be used in a front axle application, they are only marginally better than a front block. Centering pins can and often do fail, particularly when subjected to additional loads such as this. I realize many people on this board advocate their use in the front, but you'll never see them on my rig.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd