Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front blocks... *sigh*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 4, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

went to lowes for an angle finder so I can make my tranny crossmember and as soon as I pulled into the parking lot I spotted a really beat maroon K20. Well it had K15 badges but 14 bolt FF rear and D44 8 lug front. Anyway, I saw it had either 37 or 38 SSRs on it, then out of the corner of my eye I caught what looked like front blocks. I went and parked, walked over to make sure I wasn't just seeing degree shims. Sure enough, it had 4" front springs and 2" blocks under those. I took a picture on the cellphone(that you can't see cause its so cloudy), and went into the store. When I came back out I left the guy a note on his window. I hope it doesn't blow away.

Some people just heard my head.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Some people will just never learn :doah:

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah there are a few people arround here that either have blocks on the front, or should be on the scary steering page

4. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

You should have set the truck on fire and hit him in the head with a tack hammer......j/k... :p:

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I'm guessing he won't understand the note.

Eric M.

6. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

When I bought my 84 1 ton parts truck it had 4'' blocks all the way around! I had to retorque all the u-bolts in the front cause they where so loose the axle would walk back and forth on the springs when you turned the wheel!!!!:eek1: When I pulled the axle both spring center pins where broken and the leaves all fell out on the ground! This truck was being driven as a "family" rig buy the P.O.'s wife for about two years before he pulled the motor out for his Jeep!!!:yikes:. Never,ever use front blocks! By the time you buy blocks and longer u-bolts your getting close to the price of cheap lift spring anyway, so even someone saying they are trying to "save" money is retarded BULL SH*T!

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree. The person that owns that truck probably has no clue whats under it :D.

8. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

A guy in my autoshop class has an early 80's k10 pickup. And he bought it with a 1 or 2 inch blocks in front. I told him he better get them out of there quick. hes like, its only bad when turning, so i go slow. He also says that he is waiting till get can get enough lift for 40's and buy the tires. He currently got bald 35" xterrains. It scares me seeing him drive it.

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

if u put the note in the wipers, it wont go anywhere. poor guy, prolly bought it like that....not his fault haha

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a couple years ago one of my old buddies called me over to see his truck that he finished, pulled in the driveway and i see these tall blocks under the front axle. they were home made blocks, 1/4" steel plate welded into a block i told him he was a moron for doing it and said they will fall out. then he told me that they probably won't because he used a centering pin threw the springs and the blocks to the axle. he ran it a few times in the mud then i offered to trade him my 6" front leaves for 4" leaves and blocks. he put them in the next couple days, sold the old 2" springs with the 4" block on them to someone, the first run he had, the front axle fell off in the mud hole. i just laughed my ass off "see told ya that centering pin wouldn't hold"

i haven't seen hardly any trucks with front blocks around here driving down the road, just at mudbogs suprisingly.

11. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Dangerous and illegal has always been my motto on them too.
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/28668497/1029942094033211152XkdthbIDio

My '75 K5 originally had 2" aluminum lift blocks all the way around when I first got it. The front had horrid noises everytime it turned from the shifting of the blocks. When I swapped out front springs, the center pins were gone and the centering holes were all wore out. Had they been taller, they'd have shot out or broken up probably. As it was they were already cracking.

12. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

any way you look at it the blocks suck eather on the front or rear. inless its short block on the back like a 2 inch but nothing much bigger

LUKE