Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Blocks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by plk33, May 10, 2001.

1. plk33

plk33 Registered Member

I recently lifted my 87 suburban 3" in the rear and 2" in the front. I did it with blocks all the way around. I know everyone says front blocks can pop out cornering, but let me describe my blocks and then tell me how they could possible come out. I built the blocks out of 2" x 6" 1/4 inch thick steel tubing on end. I then cut 1/4 inch steel plates and welded them to the top and bottom of the block. I drilled holes in the corners of the plates for the u bolts to go through. There is NO WAY these could ever come out while cornering, except for the u bolts snaping. The block just plain can't come out. Why are front block such a no no if done this way?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

This is too long to explain to you. If you believe its going to work, then be my guest and go ahead and run it. Just dont expect me to be at your funeral.

Another thing to take in consideration: is the money saved from investing in new springs worth somebody elses life?!?! NO! If anything should ever happen that the blocks spit out, and you happen to wreck and kill somebody, then God help you!!! There are laws against running blocks on the front of anything!!!!

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

BTW, please fill out your profile. I makes it easier on you and all of us. Everybody reads the profiles to learn more about the individual and their vehicle.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

im not even gonna touch this one other than saying ive seen what losing a front block will do.sorry,but theres a reason why noone runs them,and also a reason why theres laws agaist running them.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'll tell you that I would never drive in your Blazer. And if I new you were next to me. I'd slow down and wave good-bye to you.....

6. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

It works good on paper, but so don't alot of things that'll kill ya. Kudos for trying to find a better way, but I'd have to say, JUST DON'T DO IT!! It's unsafe and illegal.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

hey were really not tryin to pick on you.its just a saftey issue.like i said there ARE reasons.its just not safe.i know i said i wasnt gonna touch this but i feel compelled to say this after i thot about it.so get comfortable i feel long winded.[​IMG]im sure you tried your best to make it safe but in the time and money you spent making the blocks you could have bought the lift kit and been done alot faster too.3 in. kits are cheap.the rear is safe and an acceptable way to lift,the front is a different story.what normally breaks is the pin.ya it wont pop out the way you have it w/ the u bolts goin thru them,but the axle will still shift front to back.you hit the brakes and the axle slides back and grabs a fender,which then pulls harder on the axle,and the next thing you know the tire is under the cab!!!still attached to the spring yea,but not where it belongs.i hope you understand my point.for your safety and those you share the roads with.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

There are a heck of a lot more G-forces on the front then the back.