Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front bolts in full topper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey guys. Last nite I was trying to get my 73 cleaned up for inspection and I was bolting the top down all the way. I've been noticing it flopping a lot going down the highway and wanted to fix that. I put a bolt in the pass side windshield "flange" which went fine. When I got to the driver's side though, someone had put in a bolt that was a size too big. When I unbolted that and tried to put the correct bolt in, I could see the nut wasn't sitting right in the hole and it wouldn't tighten down. So I assume the nut has disconnected from the top.

So is there anything I can do besides drilling from the top to get to the nut? That doesn't seem to be a good option, but is the only one I can think of offhand. It doesn't help I don't know how the nut was connected to the top in the first place.

Thanks!!

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I ran into that too, the nuts are welded to the inside so if they spin then when you take the bolt out it will fall away from the hole. I had to drill two hole on each side of the one I lost and bolt it on that way. Will be putting my soft top on the spring. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

What did you do to fix it again Tony? You drilled all new holes for the three bolts? Or used those new holes to hold the nut in place?

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Oh, your in the fiberglass top, mine was in the windsheild frame. But on the top if you can get to the nut or nut plate you could just reglass it down. but if you have access to it try using a plate with the tap size you need and silde it in. you could even use smaller screws on each side, screwed in from the inside to hold it in place