Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front brake change cant get hub off? probably cause im stupid...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dynoram, Aug 18, 2004.

1. dynoram

dynoram Registered Member

Ok bought new pads and rotors for the 1988 k5. Haynes manual didnt show any special tools so i dove right in. Now i have the caliper and pads off no problem now for the rotor. i pull the 6 hex head bolts out of the manual hub pull the assembally out remove the c-clip and wire out of the hub. Now im left with what almost looks like a splined nut pushed onto the axle. How do i get that damn thing off nothing is budging! Is it threaded or just slip on? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif how do i get the damn thing apart. I have 2 half sticks of dynamite left over from the 4th of july i recon i might have to use them soon. Please help

2. tbill

tbill Registered Member

A trip to the auto supply house and purchasing a hub socket is in order. About $15 and the nut will come right off. I guess everyone has learned this way the first time. Good luck.

3. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

that's how i learned!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. jrsheets

jrsheets Registered Member

yeah i got one for free, haven't even had to use it yet, its sad.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. dynoram

dynoram Registered Member

I went looking for this mystery tool before i posted this autozone and pepboys didnt have it ! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif well the days over and i have no brakes. anyone have a part number or link where i can get it???
    would be appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Autozone does have it , talk to the right guy . Mine actually says its for d44 axles . It should have 4 prongs , be right on display on the bottom near the front of the tool aisle /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif