Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front brake line fitting broke off!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandy78, Jan 16, 2007.

1. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

Trying to install my extended brake lines and my worst fear came to be. While trying to undo the hard line connection to the flex line, the nut pulled off the fitting leaving it firmly connected with no way to undo it. Sooo.......what now? Make a new hard line back to the proportioning valve? Cut and reflare the hard line at the flex line connection spot? I can't be the first, so any help appreciated. It's not a left handed fitting is it? The thread in the new one looks right-handed....... Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I'm not getting what you mean by the nut... unless you mean the outer flat thing that holds the hardline in place in front. Is this in front or back? Post a pic maybe?

Cut and reflare is easy, if you have the right tools:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40878

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92878

And not expensive. Or yes, you can get new hardline and bend to match. I've done both. Seems easier if it's just one end to fix the end, but then as I said I've no clue what broke :)

-- A

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

you broke your nut??..

If you mean the nut on the metal brake line itself twisted off,then you'll have to cut the line,and drill the steel line out of the fitting some,and use an E-Z out to get it out,or carefully drill it out,but be careful not to drill all the way to the bottom...if you use a 3/16" bit,it will chew out most of the steel line without damaging the caliper or whatever it is its screwed into,IF you use extreme caution..then use the E-Z out..

If any portion of the threaded thing the nut broke off of is showing,and not broken off flush,maybe you can braze or weld another nut onto it, and get it off that way too....:crazy:

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Replace the line back to the valve.
    If it was stuck that bad, the rest of the line probably isn't in very good shape and it'll just break somewhere else when you start messing with it.

5. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What he said ^^^^^^^

I was in Mexico and lost my front brakes when the banjo bolt rattled loose out of the caliper (doing some pretty hefty driving). Drove around with the brake hose crimped off by a pair of vise grips until I saw a truck sitting in a heap in someone's front yard. Stopped and asked the old lady if I could take parts off it, and found a matching banjo bolt.

Sorry to ramble...

6. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

Thanks guys! Got the end off at the proportioning valve. Ran to Autozone and got a new length of tubing for $3 with the right ends on it. Just need to bend it and install!

7. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Same boat

So how is this fix going?