Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front brake line install?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Oct 20, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I just bought the 2WD brake lines and have never changed them before. My question is on the nut where the lines mount on the frame bracket, is there a reason why mine will not loosen? I sprayed it with PB blaster but it tries to strip it. Any help would be much appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Also the hard line part that mounts to the caliper is completely round instead of having that notch like my old ones, will this matter? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

there is a clip on the back side, once the clip is removed, the line should be loose, if not just bump something on it, i don't know why they put the hex on the front side.

also on the caliper, on a 10 bolt the metal part is what locates the line, never messed with a d44 caliper.

3. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just bought the 2WD brake lines and have never changed them before. My question is on the nut where the lines mount on the frame bracket, is there a reason why mine will not loosen? I sprayed it with PB blaster but it tries to strip it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think tubing wrenches suck, especially on extremely tight nuts. The wrench has some give to it due to the split design, inturn you end up stripping the nut because of it. I usually try the tubing wrench first and if it feels like it's gonna strip I move to the vice grips. Vice grips work everytime. They tend to leave teeth marks on the nut, but they get the job done.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree--I have a cheap tiwan set of flare wrenches,they suck,they spring open and round off the fittings every time!-I even tried clamping my vise grips on them (where space permitted)to keep them from spreading open and stripping the nut.I do have a few craftsman flare wrenches that work ok,they must not be made of spring steel like the cheapies.I have to resort to vise grips quite often--most of the bolts on my vehicles look more like rivets after a few years in our wonderful salt and acid rain bath. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a good set of Craftsman flare nut wrenches that I wouldn't trade for anything. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Stop buying cheap crap and you won't complain that it doesn't work.

The 2wd lines don't have that tab to locate them, but have worked well on my rig for almost a year now.