Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front brake line question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Topdown, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

ok... so my question is this... why doesnt anyone run a hard brake line down the front cross-member, drop a "soft" line to the axle, run hard lines along the axle and the "soft" lines to the actual brakes?

It seems to me that we spend so much time and money on extended brake lines that it would be more cost effective to run your own hard lines. Not to mention that a hard line along the top of the axle would be "safer" and the line dropped from the middle of the front cross member would never catch on anything and since its rare that you droop both front tires at a time (jumping aside) you wouldnt need extra loops or inches of line.

I am thinking I might give this theory a try on my project... just for sh*ts and giggles.

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

you mean like the Dodges....

3. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Or 70s fords

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i dunno... maybe cause then you need to buy a new hardline and (atleast one) softline for every wheel? Seems relatively inexpensive to just buy 1 soft line per wheel. Guy over on pirate has DOT approved ones, the shorter-than-28" lines are under $90 a pair. By the time you buy the extra short lines, fittings and hardlines to re-route everything, you'd prolly be approaching that unless you were using free junk or something.

j

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

How long do you need them, I bought Napa lines which are for stock 88 and up 2 WD GM's and they are long enough for about 4 to 6 inches of lift. They are only like $30 for a pair, the part number at NAPA is 38872.