Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

:( Front Brake line woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Dec 28, 2004.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well i was trying to get my front brake line loose to lower them. I had no clue they were oppsite threads and the bolt behind the bracket just had to simply unbolt from the rubber line, I thought the rubber line had to unbolt from the steel line and it was more complex than it actually was. So i ended up snapping the steel line off at the bolt. :(
    Does this mean i have to take a brake line and run it around that whole frame like the stock one is? It seems pretty tight in there to unbolt the steel line from the frame. So can i get a brake line and run it down to the new bracket instead of through the frame or will that effect the braking? sorry for such simple questions im just trying to learn its all new to me!

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

u can run it straight to the rubber line, u need to be careful that u route it away from anything that may hurt it though.

if it were me i would re-flare the broke line & re-use it. & get some braided steel lines to replacew the rubber ones

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

for the cost and experience, I'd go ahead and rerun a steel one. I had to do the same thing on my 71, the original brake line was rusted together and I snapped it in two taking mine off, it was a royal PITA but I got it done and all works well now,

I have a lot more conifdence knowing that line isn't going to get in the way of anything or get ever get snagged and ripped off.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

brake lines blow

The right way is to remove the original line and route it exactly like the original,using all the clamps and such--however,in the real world,its not that easy to snake a new line in there,and bend it to match the original..on my trucks,I'm not too fussy--I simply bend up a new line,and zip tie it to the old one--since they rust out in less than 2 years around here,its not worth being too anal about them--I just make sure the new line isnt rubbing against anything,and I often route them a different way than stock to better avoid the salt spray that corrodes them so quickly--I smear grease all over the metal lines to help slow down corrosion--even the coated lines they sell now,or paint doesnt seem to resist the salt very well...:frown1:

5. stockk5

how would i re-flare it and re-use it if it is pressed into that nut/fitting that bolts into the rubber line? The steel line litterly broke off right at the nut/fitting so i dont think i cant connect the 2 broken pieces.

6. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

I would just go to a wrecking yard and pull a good one and use that

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

try snaking a new line up firewall of a freakin ford festiva, chevy trucks front lines are cakewalk compared to that,

good luck

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

autozone loans flaring tools

take some scrap, read the directions and flare it at the store and it saves you the trouble of having to pay them and get your money back hassle

9. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I feel for you man, it's a miserable job. I did like the other guy said and got it close and cable tied it to nearby stuff. You have to be swifter than me to get it really matched up perfect. You can buy prebent lines, even in stainless, but it's beyond me how you'd get them in there without bending them up anyway.

Hmm, now that I think of it, it might be a little easier if you start with prebent, just don't get stainless since it won't bend by hand. Try inline tube, or classic tube, forget which. It'll cost you of course, but it'll give you a start and it'll already have the ends.

If you have the ORD steering box brace, just shoot yourself now. That made life considerably more difficult.

10. stockk5

damn that sucks im just about to go out and start the fight w/ it wish me luck. no steering box brace yet