Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front brake lines, need a pic on how you keep them out of way of tire?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jakeslim, Apr 12, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I put the front D60 on jackstands to check what was causing turning radius problems and noticed that when turning all the way right, my passenger tire rubs my brake line /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif.

They are extended lines(procomp i believe). Is this a problem? I'm afraid that I might rip one off. I tried to see If I could secure(zip) out of way, but the line is not long enough for that. Any ideas or suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Best ways I've seen for standard lines are strapped to the shock or suspended on a spring. You can get low rate open coil springs and cut to fit so that they are pulled to the frame or shock but can also stretch for droop. Mine are custom built with a half turn and springs on (around) the lines so that they coil and uncoil like a spring themselves as the suspension moves.

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

hmmm...had not thought of springs. good idea /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif thanks

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

eventually I'll do the spring thing, I just kept turning mine around till they formed and S shape and they stay there pretty well.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to hook the spring on to the lower shock mount and to that fitting in the middle /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    (those are the napa extended brake lines /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

looks like your getting uneven tire wear(center). just thought I'd throw that out there /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Thanks for the pic. I will see if i can adjust to form an "s" type shape as well.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

That "S turn" thing is very similar to the way mine work except it is "built in" using the surrounding spring and there is a 6" hard line coming off the banjo fitting that points roughly to the frame (when tires are forward).

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Ol Spickey had throttle return springs on his, seemed to work well

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    looks like your getting uneven tire wear(center). just thought I'd throw that out there /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Thanks for the pic. I will see if i can adjust to form an "s" type shape as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah 58K miles with a wide tire on a stock rim at suggested PSI will do that /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

skinny bungy cord. my pasenger side had the potential to get caught on the ORD sway disconnect at full droop. did the trick.

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I use two zip ties. They're the kind with provisions in the head for a screw. This way I can put a zip tie real tight around the shock and then run another zip tie through that hole loosely. It seems to work.