Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front brake lines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Dec 24, 2004.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I cant seem to get my front brake lines loose at all to put the new lowering brackets in, all that i can imagine using is the 5/8th open end and 9/16th open end, they start to round off the nuts when i try to loosen them. and my wrenches are even getting messed up. Any tips?

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

they make special wrenches for this. Don't remember what they are called, but they wrap around the line.

edit Flare nut wrenches

[​IMG]

3. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

damn.. more stuff i have to buy and more time w/ out my truck because of a stupid bolt getting stuck. it shouldnt take 2weeks to put in a 4" block/spring lift!!!

4. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

some call them Flare Wrenches, some call them Flared Nut Wrenches

you need them working on a truck. you will mess up fittings using a regular wrench on them

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

just take a regular wrench with one open end and the one closed end and cut off a piece of the closed end to make one of those wrenches:grin:

6. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

And if they are screwed up beyond repair afer using your wrenches, then a good pair of vice grips will do the trick, but only if you plan on replacing the flare nut.

I call those wrenches line wrenches but everyone has a different name for them.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can get the flare nut wrenches at harbor freight for $5 if there is one close. Not expensive, but a lifesaver.

8. tommysblazer10

tommysblazer10 Registered Member

brake lines

i installed the rough country 4": system to i had to replace all my front steel lines, i had the same problem took me forever to do that damn lift too.

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Always refer to them as line wrenches.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cheap flare wrenches suck!

I bought a set of cheap flare wrenches at the "bargain" store,and they do nothing but stretch and strip out the fittings--its like they made them out of spring steel--when I need a flare wrench that wont stip the fittings,I reach for a craftsman or snap-on wrench,and have no problems..the 7 dollar set of 5 "cheapies" are useless--money wasted I could have bought 1 good one with..:mad:
    I learned you usually get what you pay for,especially when tools are involved..
    You can often find good deals at swap meets and flea markets on name brand tools--I often buy craftsman sockets and other tools there,even if they are cracked or damaged--Sears has a lifetime gaurantee!!:laugh:

11. joeshmo473

joeshmo473 Registered Member

weee

yea i'm also stumped on the brake lines, i just read all the previous posts and they make sense but how exactly do you get it off, where does the flare wrench goe and where does the wrench go, do you have to put one behind the C channel of the frame and one on the fender side, ??? i almost turned the hard lines around once and busted them trying to get them off, save me!!