Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front brake pad alignment?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dieselandmud, May 14, 2006.

1. dieselandmud

dieselandmud Registered Member

I have a 10 bolt front axle with 8-lug conversion on a 86' K-10. All the hardware is new except for the calipers. The brakes are making a loud squealing noise when I apply the brakes. I pulled them off and found this ridge on the piston side brake pad, both left and right sides are like this. I believe this is my noise maker. How do I align the pads on the calipers?
    Thanks
    Chris

brakepad.JPG

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Does your caliper mounting bolts still have those little sleeve bushing things in there? Looks to me like the piston is pushing in more on the top side.

3. dieselandmud

Yes I installed new bushings on the caliper. The bolts did look a bit worn, I think I will change them out too.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

When you get new bolts, check to make sure eventhing is tight and not any slop. If you can, have someone push the brake pedal while you watch the calipers.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have great results with even application by putting some real slippery high temp grease on the sliding part of the bolt/pin . I use Sil-Glide .

6. dieselandmud

I didn't grease the bolts/pins last time so that could be part of the problem. Thanks for all the help. Chris