Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front brake problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LlanoK5, Mar 21, 2004.

1. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

On friday my right front brake started sticking some. The pugent smell of burning started coming from the wheel, the truck started pulling to the right. If I let the truck sit a while it starts working properly agian. I talked to an ASE mechanic yesterday at the parts store, he said my problem was the brake hose. I replaced that yesterday afternoon, test drove it for a little bit and all seemed good. That is till just a few minutes ago, I was out and about and noticed the truck started pulling to the right agian. I got home and there was the smell again. Does anyone have any idea what else could cause this intermintent problem? Thanks in advance for the help.

Kirk

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Sounds like a warped rotor to me

3. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

I hadn't thought about the chance of warpping the rotor. It could be very possible with it getting as hot as it did. I'll check into that as soon as I get a chance.

Kirk

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

If your rotor wasn't warped before, it probably is now. But, simply replacing the rotor isn't going to fix your problem...you'll just heat up the next one to the point of it warping too.

I had a case of "hot wheels" a while back. I ended up replacing my calipers with "loaded calipers" (rebuilt calipers with new pads) and my problems were over.

First though, take out the two mounting bolts and put some anti-seize or grease on them...the caliper needs to be able to move freely on those bolts, otherwise once the brake is depressed, the caliper won't be able to back away from the rotor.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Definately sounds like a caliper problem to me. Either the caliper is not releasing (causing the pull) or the caliper is not sliding very well on the mounting bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Definately sounds like a caliper problem to me. Either the caliper is not releasing (causing the pull) or the caliper is not sliding very well on the mounting bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said! Had the same prob several times before with various vehicles. Caliper sticks after you apply the brake and doesn't release. Pulls to that side.

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Caliper is sticking...and you rotor is probably trashed too...My passenger side caliper hung up and warped my rotor bigtime...just put on new calipers and rotors..they are cheap enough for these trucks

Chris