Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front brake trouble

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Feb 17, 2005.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I just popped off my front wheels and checked the brake shoes cause of sqeaking I heard. The left side is almost worn to the rivets, but the right side looks new. Is this due to air in the lines or a proportioning valve?? I'll bleed the brake lines, but I have never messed with a proportioning valve, so how do I check it...and where is it?? Thanks in advance. :truck:

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

im not positive but the pad may be sticking. i would get new pads for both sides and change em out. as far as the proportioning valve, its under the fron crossmember in front of the motor. you shouldnt have to mess with it. post your results

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the porp valve is a t in the frt half. full press to both frts . and have a friend help you for this. pump brakes and crack the bleader just after he releses the pedel to se if residual pressure in line. if non then do other side. if both ok then hoses and lines free and clear. if pressure then there is a bad hose with plug in side of it or line has plig. i have seen hoses plug.next replace both calipers 1 is sticking and you are better off doing 2 as a pair.. you didnt say if truck pulls left or right when braking.? get a good quality pad thay last longer. i have seen those (9.99) sets go bad in less than 1k miles from defects. we had a car come in at shop. it eat 3 sets of left rear shoes in 4 weeks. found pluged hose. pressure in but no pressure release except over about 10-15 min. brakes where grinding off when driving down road.

4. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

It seems the left side caliper is frozen, it won't compress for anything. My guess is the shoes constantly rubbed and wore down on that side. Now I'm looking into new calipers. I'll keep you updated. Oh, and should I replace the old rubber lines while I'm at it?? Thanks. :truck:

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

if they need it i would. look for cracking or dry rotting. they are a bit pricey, but well worth it if needed