Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front brake upgrade for 10 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CR, Apr 25, 2004.

1. CR

CR Registered Member

Any upgrade kits for 10 bolt front disks? Trying to get better stopping power.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Hmm. First make sure your current hardware is good. You should already have the bigger master cylinder (the bore on the older ones like mine is smaller)... check your rubber lines, replace the master/booster if they're suspect, bleed the hell out of it, etc.

Depends on how you drive, I suppose, but my '74 (all stock brakes) will lock all four and skid if I slam the fat pedal. (Great way to make passengers s&&t themselves /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Anyway, not to dissuade you, but make sure everything else is new and shiny 'fore you go upgrading.

-- A

3. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Either go up to 3/4T front discs, or look to the aftermarket such as wilwood.

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If you're using cheapo pads then they won't work as well as some of the higher quality pads. I always use the premium pads from Napa, I forget exactly what they're called but Napa only carries 3 different kinds and it's obviously the most expensive one at $30 per side.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Oh yeah -- forgot the consumables. Make sure your rears are adjusted, drums are good, rotors are straight, and get good pads & shoes. The local parts place I use happens to carry the Bendix as the high-end. Semi-metallic is the only way to go; if you're using organic pads, look no further than a new set.

-- A

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Stainless Steel Brakes makes an upgrade that includes new cast iron calipers with larger piston (80mm) and new slotted rotors. Cost was $575 from Summit.

-Scott /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I believe Summit carries the AutoSpecialty cross-drilled rotors....I think they're 75 clams each....