Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front brakes too tight??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gtchief, Jul 28, 2006.

1. gtchief

gtchief Registered Member

I was wondering if someone else maybe has or had this problem. I have a stock '89 K5 with completely new brakes all around. I was coming down a longer hill and probably using the brakes more than usual. I smelled burning from both fronts faintly and wasnt sure if its because they only have 300 miles and I was on the long hill or because they are too grabby. Thanks for the help.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you are going to smell burning brakes after a long hill. Plain and simple, brakes are a couple of pads rubbing themselves to death against a piece of shiny metal. They burn off more on a long downhil. I used to live below a large hill, the bottom of that hill smelled like burning brakes all day long.

3. gtchief

gtchief Registered Member

I'm aware of this, but never had the problem before in my other SUVs or my truck now. Never anything this old though so I just wanted to be sure there isnt an adjust on the distribution block or anything that might be making them grab to much or lock up. Thanks for the quick reply though, thats what I wanted to hear.

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Try using engine compression to help slow you down --> downshift. Only use the brakes when you need to, intermittently. That way you let the brakes cool off and you won't lose them on a steep hill.

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Make sure your rear brakes are adjusted up so your fronts don't do all the work.