Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FRONT BRAKES!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Sep 6, 2001.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Its time to replace the front brake pads. I have never doen this before on my Jimmy. So I need some help Is it easy tp do I looked in my chilton manual and it has som epics and talks about it but do I need any special tools for the job?

1985 GMC JIMMY&lt;P ID="edit"&gt;&lt;FONT class="small"&gt;&lt;EM&gt;Edited by JimmyJuneau on 09/06/01 07:42 PM.&lt;/EM&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by JimmyJuneau on 09/06/01 07:53 PM.</FONT></P>

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Re: front brakes?

Changing pads is easy. All you should need is a C-clamp(to compress the piston), an allen wrench(3/8" I think), a piece of wood, and a medium or large flat screwdriver to pry the old pads off incase the clip wants to be difficult. Unbolt the 2 caliper bolts and remove the caliper from the rotor(may need to use the screwdriver). Put the wood across the piston and then use the C-clamp on the wood and the back of the caliper to compress the piston enough to get the caliper (with new pads installed) over the rotor . Dont forget the clips when you put the new pads on! Bolt the caliper back on and youre done. Be sure to pump up the brakes before you try to drive so the new pads are up against the rotor. Hopefully I didnt forget anything.
    Good Luck!

3. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Do I have to take the piston out of the caliper? Also do I need a hexagon tool not sure what it is but I remember somone telling me I needed one for the job.

1985 GMC JIMMY

4. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

No you do not take the piston out of the caliper. You want to press it back into the caliper. A 3/8 hex socket or 3/8 allen wrench is needed for the caliper bolts. You can also use your old pad to compress the piston back in instead of a piece of wood. One other thing, loosen the master cylinder cap because wwhen you press the piston back into the caliper the fluid will be forced back to the master cylinder. Leave the lid sitting on the master and dont press to fast or you will have a mess when the fluid spills out.
    Piece of cake to do. Good luck.

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Also pick up some Permatex "Disc brake quiet", and apply it to the backs of the pads prior to installing them.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>