Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Break Mounts on 14ff?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by DuneRunner, Dec 16, 2002.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Do you think that you could use 3/4 ton front mounts on the rear with a little fab work? (I have seen one pic on the net of it)

In theory if you welded the 6 holes on the front Break mounts where they attach to the knuckles. And then drilled 4 new holes for the mounting to the rear housing and use a 13/16" spacers.
    That it would work? You would then have a built in dust shield. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (taking a break at work)

2. DuneRunner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what I'm taling about! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

that looks just like the setup from offroad unlimited. thats the set i have on my 73. they are way to much money. 1400 bucks for the setup with the e-brake but then again when i bought them 4 years ago they were the only ones that made them /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i have a buddie that did what you are talking aboput and his works fine.

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. DuneRunner

Thanks for the knowladge. WOW! Must of hurt the bank a little. Like you said they were the only ones at the time.

Who's going Junk Yard Shopping? ME... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I know of a couple local guys who've done the same. Their trucks run the Rubicon and are daily drivers, so far no probs. Also check outAlaska Offroad's site, lots of great tech there:

[​IMG]

6. DuneRunner

ROD THANKS!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Can't wait to get another set of mounts!!!

(the motor will be here soon)

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm....All that is is a 3/4 ton front caliper bracket welded/bolted to the 14 bolt flange? What/where does the 13/16" spacer go? So all I have to do is get some front caliper brackets, rotor ect and this spacer thing, and I've got disc brakes for my 14? Damn....I can get all that stuff basically free....Hmmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. DuneRunner

Hook a Brotha UP! (please)

with the spacer thats all I need. You can cut that stuff at work can't you? and drill it as well?

[image]http://groups.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/newpictures.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=629[/image]

Dear Santa, All I want for Christmas is for Joe to make me 2 spacer out of 13/16"s inch steel. and thats it. I've been good this year.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Later, KEN

9. Zeus33rd

10. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

You don't need a spacer for the setup I posted. All you need is front caliper bracket, I think any 1/2 or 3/4 ton bracket would work, even a 10 bolt (do some research to make sure, don't quote me /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) So you need the bracket, 3/4 ton calipers, rotors and attach them to the 14 bolt hub. Mount the hub/rotor assembly to the spindle and bolt it in place. Then you place the caliper on the rotor then bolt the bracket onto the caliper. Trim the bracket so it fits nice on the 14b flange. Now just simply weld it on, should be a perfect fit. The only thing I can see failing is the weld, so make sure your machine has enough juice... see Joe about that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. DuneRunner

HEY NOW! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

By looking at the picture of the Alaska guy's it looks like they don't use a spacer. I think Rod your right! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. Zeus33rd

So the inner bearing and seal in a 3/4 ton rotor is the right size to fit the 14b spindle? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Inner bearing and seal... Wha? The rotor presses on to the hub via the wheel studs, there are no seals or anything in it, all of that stuff is housed in the hub itself. </font color>

14. Zeus33rd

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Inner bearing and seal... Wha? The rotor presses on to the hub via the wheel studs, there are no seals or anything in it, all of that stuff is housed in the hub itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

After I thought about it for a few minutes, I realized how retarded what I said was. lol! I'm so used to seein front rotors with the hub attached to them, that in my retardedness thought that the seal and bearing were in the rotor....duh. I get it now. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif