Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front bumper

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by TxK5Blazer, Oct 7, 2003.

1. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Stephen I just got my petersons the other day and saw a front bumper that came from ORD what are you guys charging for that bumper Mine is an 82 also and I need to get rid of those blinkers in the bumpers....Jason

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

just looked it up, thats pretty nice.

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think thats the same bumper he had on the Jimmy before it was narrowed, with the blinker lights added

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Pricing isn't set yet, we're working on the jigs and some changes to try to make it easier to build them.
    It's very similar to my old bumper (that's now on the burb) but there's a couple of changes to make it easier to build and hopefully a bit lighter overall.
    The blinker mounts are going to be an option I think, the vast majority of trucks have the blinkers on the grill somewhere. It might be easier go to a later model factory type blinker than to add them to the bumper, we'll see.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

similar is right! when i saw the mag I thought for sure that the bumper WAS the one from your Jimmy... especially when they were talking about you guys working on the rig all night to get it ready... figured you guys might have saved some time by just unloading ur jimmys bump. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

btw, how much did it cost those peterson's guys for that kinda service? couldnt a been cheap! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

j

6. Stephen

A LOT.

I do have to say, when that K5 left here, every one of us wished it was ours. I think it was a perfect multi purpose K5. OK to drive thousands of miles on the highway, well set up for offroad use, built pretty smart and for reasonable sums of money. The only things that were really excess bling over more common parts are the 6.0L, hutchinson wheels, and the HID lights. All else is standard stuff easily in reach of a common guy. And it was one of the few that didn't have any major problems for the wheeling portions of the trip. The motor blew on the way back but given that it was blown when it got here and we didn't do a full overhaul, I'd say getting back to albuqurque was doing pretty good.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol!!! no doubt some of the parts were affordable... but I know one thing for sure, I couldnt afford that kinda shop time. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif its all good though, someday I'll be rich and have a fleet of rigs. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

8. Stephen

We can barely afford that kind of shop time on our own trucks if it's not based around developing something new. My brother was even helping out for part of the time so we usually had 4 guys working on something on the truck.
    Here's a list of some of the prep work:

Check every fluid and most of the fasteners
    Shave 14 bolt
    Shackle flip kit and zero rates
    Set rear pinion angle as close as possible
    T-case skid support
    New GM D60 front with high steer, electrac, 35 spl. stubs, 1350 pinion yoke custom stabilizer mount, etc
    Trim fenders for 37's
    Front bumper/winch/lights
    Rear bumper
    1" body lift
    In frame rebuild on motor (scary but given the circumstances, all we could do)
    weld/bolt in roll bar
    add wheel spacers for cool guy DOT legal beadlocks
    measure/order/install new front driveshaft

I'm sure there's more but that's a pretty good list as is.
    We slept here at the shop some.

9. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Did you get any full pics of the K5? They only show partial shots in the Mag. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I sure did like those Hutchinson beadlocks but they are a little pricey. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Was the 6.0L a junk yard motor or did they buy one from Advance Adapters?

Eric

10. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Do all that work and they don't even get the location of your shop right.

Pg 70 November issue "Running on 6 1/2 cylinders, we made our way to Off Road Design In Grand Junction Colorado."

I wouldn't mind if ya moved there it would be a little closer for me to bring my truck to ya. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Stephen

I asked them about that and the text was edited funny, they stopped in GJ to put in new spark plugs to get the 6.5 cylinders to fire enough to get them up here. It got chopped wrong. oops.

12. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Oh well Glenwood isn't much further. See ya soon!!