Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Carrier Install ! Please Help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cegusman, Nov 22, 2001.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

This weekend I am going to do my ball joints, and want to replace inner axle seal. I know I have to remove tha carrier, When reinstalling the carrier is there any special things I would have to do? Any special tools I would need.

Houston, TX

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Re: Front Carrier Install

Any body, I already have everything torn apart (axle shafts pulled and all) Don't want to put it all back tegether and torn back apart to just change the seals. Please Help

Houston, TX

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Just torque the main caps to 60 ft/lbs. Also make sure all the shims go back in the same spot they came out and make sure and put the caps back on the same way they can off. The same side and direction.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Would that be the same for the rear too. Do I do the same thing if I change the ring and pinion? Posibly going to 4.56

Houston, TX

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Changing the R&amp;P is a completely different deal. You have to have several special tools to set the pinion depth and backlash on the ring gear. When nothing has changed, you use the same shims. If you swap the gears to any set other than the exact ones you pulled (even if the new ones are the same ratio), you have to "set up" the gears.

This is not an easy task. Unless you consider yourself an accomplished mechanic, I wouldn't even try it. This is coming from experience. I did mine myself. After buyin all the special tools, I didn't save a whole lot from having someone else do them. While I did learn alot, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

OK I guess I leave that to a pro. Is the back just as easy if i just want to replace the seals

Houston, TX

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The back is real easy. Pull the cover, remove the center pin, pop out the c-clips, pull the axles, replace the seals, and reinstall in reverse order.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Thanks every one, Make me feel a little more confedent

Houston, TX