Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front clip compatibility

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by camango, Nov 26, 2002.

1. camango

camango Registered Member

hello fellow K5ers

i recently had a head-on collision in my 1988 Jimmy
    the truck still runs and drives fine, but she needs a front clip for sure
    i like the look of the early second-gen K5s and would like to cop that nose if possible

so - will a 1973 - 1979 front clip bolt on to my 1988 frame?

thanks

2. knudel

knudel Registered Member

To MY understanding, yes. The difference in the frames is in the rear, behind the front seats and back. Plenty of people update the older ones with the newer front ends, so why not the other way around. There was recently a post someone asked about that actually, if he could just do the grille since he liked the look better, you may try a search for it. I can't take the credit in any way for this, but there's an article in the tech section on swapping to the newer front clip here
    Good luck!

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I dont see why not. The biggest hurdle in going the other way (older to newer) has to do with how the hood mounts. Going from newer to older would not have that issue. I would think a complete bolt on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If you going to be swapping from an 88 to a pre-79, then there are a lot of things that will have to be changed, but since the front of yours is in need of new pieces anyways, then here is the list that i know of:
    Hood is different
    Fenders are different
    Grill is different
    Radiator core support is different
    Wiring to the headlights are different

Best thing to do is find a complete front clip from a donor, and grab everything from the firewall forward associated with the hood, fenders, grill and core support.