Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front clip/door price. Worth it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by knudel, Nov 23, 2002.

1. knudel

knudel Registered Member

More questions from the peanut gallery. What's the going price for a front clip. This is off a mid 80's burb 6.2. I'd get the whole front clip incl the trans cooler, AC condenser, radiator, etc, as well as the passenger side power door and dash insert for $500. Whatcha all think? I'm looking high and low for a beat up 81-87 truck or 81-91 Blazer or burb to just use the whole thing for parts, but to no avail. Should I just get the front clip from that burb? It's got a little surface rust and someone put some ugly-arse antenna on the driver's fender, so I'll have to have the hole there fixed. Sooo... what's the verdict? I'd prefer 89-91, there is a radiator core at the yard for $100, so.. that on top? Gimme input here guys! Thanks a million!

2. unsane

unsane Guest

I would tell them they can keep their radiator!!!! You can buy a brand new one with a lifetime warranty from Autozone for $130......

3. knudel

knudel Registered Member

Well that's pretty cool, thanks for letting me know! Okay, in that case, all of the rest? LOL then again, considering I think I need a new front axle, and paint, money may start getting thin... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I'm thinking of telling him I also want the factory 10b he has in the front, has Warn hubs, that's all I've noticed. But, as mine is bent...

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Just for grins...I couldn't get a price on a diesel radiator from Autozone at all online. From Radiator.com(which usually has great prices) it runs $350. Just FYI. $500 sounds pretty decent to me......it's much easier to get a complete setup than to try and piece one together.

5. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

well around hear you can find 1981-1988 for about 300-400 complete with the hood but 500 isnt to crazy then i guess if its real clean and the 1989-1991 clips start at about 600 and the average is 750.00 and up but i would continue the hunt or look into aftermarket the fenders are junk ( seam seperation) after a little flexing on the trial 6 months a year down the road in my experience but the coor supports seam to be fine and then your can post wanted stuff here on the site and i am sure some one will have it have you tried your local yards ??? or placing a wanted add in your paper ??
    just some ideas hope it helps

6. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I got mine off an 84 burb for $400. It was mint (no bondo, rust dings, and had orig paint) and included:

Both fenders,both fender wells,hood,radiator support,grill,headlight bezels,dual headlights, etc...

I found some alot cheaper but they all had problems. I think $500 is to high. $400 was high to me but it was in perfect shape.

I am in Phoenix AZ BTW

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

You guys have to keep in mind the location....great rust free clips are easier to find in AZ and in CA. This guy is in Oregon. I did the same thing when I was shopping....there was one locally for $300 that was OK....I thought it was too much, so I drove 600 miles round trip to buy one for $150 that ended up being in worse shape.....and spending about $80 on gas and food. The $500 also includes a complete power door, which run around $150-$200 around these parts.

knudel, if ya really want a later model keep looking. You'll be more pleased if you get what you really want rather than settling for something less desirable. I'm not too clear from your post, but the core support should always come with a front clip and not be $100 extra.....at least that I have seen. Good luck!

8. knudel

knudel Registered Member

Thanks for all the input. It looks like the diesel radiator is alot more expensive, so that would be good to get with it I think. The core would come with it, but there's another core (just the core) at a yard around me from a 91 for 100, that's what I meant that to come out as. It looks as if the whole thing had the factory paint really chipped up and someone repainted it, so now a few layers of chips. I think I'll spend a ton of time on it if i get it, even tho there aren't any dings i saw. A few people have emailed me, with some pretty good offers, but i need to find out the conditions on them. My radiator is leaking atthe bottom it seems, who knows, maybe I can keep it and get a front clip in better condition, but I'm so lost it's a joke. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    As far as wrecking yards, yep, I've checked. As high as 1050 from one of the two places that has them, and the other was 300, missing one fender, the other was dented, as was the hood, and the grill and headlight assemblies were gone.
    There is of course the factor of the one door to keep in mind too, as was pointed out. But after all, I'm gonna spend ALOT of time getting att the crap paint and chips off it before putting it on, maybe I should keep looking after all. Just worried that I'll not find one since they seem to be scarce around here.

9. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have one Keizer. I sent you a PM.

10. andyzach

andyzach Registered Member

WORTH IT 500 WHOLE CANT PUT AN AFTERMARKET ONE TOGATHER THAT CHEAP. ONE NEW GM FENDER WILL COST MORE. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

knudel

I lived in Eugene for 14 years. Everything was rusty. Now I'm in AZ and every project car I had here (3 now) were 100% rust free and so are all the parts I buy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. knudel

knudel Registered Member

Wanna go ahead and send one on up then? A $0.37 stamp should do it, right? :-P Well I'm glad you're finding them, too bad you know it's not easy to find here. Off to check a PM!

13. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Thanks andyzach...your very first post and I didn't understand a single thing about it...loose the caps and gain some punctuation......and fill out your profile......thanks again!

14. knudel

knudel Registered Member

LOL! oops andyzach! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I think I need to calm down and quit changing tactics. Yesterday I started seeing what I could just buy a whole Blazer for, then had a thought: I have a buddy that owns a dealership and goes to the auction to get most of his cars, the big one for dealers, or whatever. I've gone and picked up cars there before, and there are so many it's a joke. If he'll ever realize his voicemail's not working, maybe I'll go to the auction and get a Blazer or three. Any requests?? I'm thinking maybe.. a 74 and an 89, switch the front clips, and have a full convert w/new front clip, then sell the 89. Way too much thought I put into it as I lay there cursing caffiene last night in bed. How's that thoguht?

15. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I like the '74 w/the late model clip idea...that's what I did, except I settled for an '81 clip...wish I would have waited and picked up a '90ish or just done the fiberglass '96 conversion. I know vehicles go for real cheap at auctions, but that sounds like a lot of hassle, buying two to make one. Keep shopping for the clip you want....it'll turn up.

[​IMG]
    This one is $600 or so from Baja Concepts

16. knudel

knudel Registered Member

Now that is a really good idea, except.. the hood and fenders are 631, then the grille, lights, and core support another 545!! Ouch!! good thought tho, I like that idea!! I'm trying to find anyone with a dealer's license in the area to check out the Portland Auto Auction.