Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Clip Exchange

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, Mar 16, 2004.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

All right. I need some infor on swapping front clips. I am going from a 79 to an 84 with over/under headlights. Only problem is what wiring will I have to pull out of the newer tr4uck to put on the 79. Anyone who has done this before, I need your wisdom and all would be greatly appreciated.

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

the headlight wiring from the 84 should plug right into the firewall and replace the 79's harnesss.

i think you may have a problem with hood hinges, dont the 81-up mount on the cab, vs the 80-down mount on the fenders?

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the headlight wiring from the 84 should plug right into the firewall and replace the 79's harnesss.

i think you may have a problem with hood hinges, dont the 81-up mount on the cab, vs the 80-down mount on the fenders?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct on both parts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I just did this swap(well, back in june) on my 76. I used the single headlamp set up from an 84, So i used the stock headlamp harness. But I think they are right as far as the harness just bolting in the block. I have some pics of what i had to do as far as the hinges AND the wiper pivots. The fenders bolt on using the stock early mounts, but you have to modify the cowl panel to accept the newer hood hinge's as there are recessed INTO the cowl panel. The wiper pivots are also a little different. Holes will have to be drilled into the cowl panel so the cowl will sit right. I can email you the pics if you want. Just PM me what email address to send them to. They are large. It took me 2 hrs to do the swap, so it isn't difficult. Do you have another truck your robbing all the parts from??

5. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Without stealing to much of your post James is there any difference in interiors from an 84 to an 86?????? Hey James I say we have our own Monsters Garage show with what we have left of the blazer and post what we make with our budget. Now lets see, I'll have about $20 bucks and a FREEBIE 400sbc engine what will you offer.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. 79Stomper

I don't really think there is a difference in the interor. If there is then it might be in the dash pad, if anything. Everything else is the same. Hmmmm, lets see what do I have to offer for the "MONSTER" /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif, I will let you know when I finish spending the IRS' money on my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

dash pad changed, column changed and dash too and instr bezel all because wipers went ot column in 84, door panels changed from 77-80 style to 81-87 style, and so forth, GM didnt keep much same like most ppl assume, a billion things changed, also fuel tank filler neck diameters changed 75-78 were one style and then 79-up changed again with doors on bedsides 79up

tailgates on at least the pickups dont interchange from 80 to 81 and some of the 76 or so and earlier are a different style yet again hinges and latches straps, etc.

all kinds

8. 79Stomper

So pretty much everything in the interior will fit an 86. Only thing thats going on the 79 is front clip and maybe a few small pieces here and there. Thanks for the info, /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif