Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front clip opinion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've got a 76 K/5 and I'm thinking of putting on a 89 to 91 front clip. Has anyone done this ??? Whats it cost to do ??? What all is involved ??? Whats everyone think, would ya do it or not, and why ???

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have 2 K5's. One is an 81 Jimmy and it's no show truck in anyone's book so the front clip it's got is the one I'm sticking with. I also have a 74 Blazer that I'll prolly do a mild build/resto on and for that one I will source a 91 GMC baby quad front clip because I like the way they look. There is a great tech article written by Mudzer on how to convert a pre-81 K5 to the new style front clip. It isn't a straight bolt on swap, but it isn't rocket science either.

As for cost...it really depends on your luck. I've seen em advertised from $400 to $1000. You'll need everything including a new core support. It can be sourced through companies like LMC ( http://www.lmctruck.com ) or where-ever used parts are found.

Rene

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

this is just my $.02 worth, but I would keep your clip. I love the look of the 70's front end. Plus there are so many newer rigs around... hard to find a nice older one these days

5. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Keep the old round headlights. Like Cap'm Crunch above me said, it's a classic. Like the floor mounted hi/low switch, the manual windows, the carb, and all the other "old but good" stuff about it, that front sets it apart and makes it different from all the 89-91 Soccer mom Blazers, Jimmy's, and Suburbans (yet to be initiated into the 4x4 world/forums/images/icons/wink.gif).

I'm looking for a good K5 (hard because I'm in Michigan, land of atrocious winters and road salt), and would LOVE a pre 81 K5 with the big round headlights./forums/images/icons/cool.gif Grew up in a 76 myself. Big orange one with a black top./forums/images/icons/smile.gif Sigh.....................

Anyways, to stop this blabbering (I'm sorry, really!/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif), keep it the way it is. So headlights might not be the most common, big deal! Whatever I get stays the way I get it.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I just might have to do that. My front clip is in close to mint condition, I just like the look of the 89 to 91.