Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front clip removal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by akbound, Jan 11, 2005.

1. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

I did a search and read all of the entries concerning front clip removal during engine swap, but I could not determine if you are supposed to take the hood off first. So, do you remove the hood and then the front clip or remove it all at once?

Alaska finally decided that I am still worthy of a share of their oil wealth so I will be getting my engine mildly rebuilt: heads redone, flat top pistons, 30 over, RV cam, performer intake. I deliver engine to the shop and they rebuild, assemble and paint for $1500. 160 hp to ~300 hp will be a nice change.

It will be great to rev over 3000 rpm without hearing a loud knock!:D

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep. Hood will be the first thing to come off of there. I beleive it is just a few bolts to pull the whole front clip off and keep it in one piece. I have seen mention of it before when I was going to do a front swap but can't exactly recall. I know you will have to pull the bolts holding the fenders to the cab and the radiator support, and then unplug the harness on the firewall and pull it off. On my 79 you can pull the whole front clip off without removing hood. Not sure about newer models.

3. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

Thanks! Mine is a '76, so I guess I will try it without removing the hood.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't know if the 79's differ from the 84... but search under my username, I did this in the summer... and I'm not the quickest learner so I had a lot of help... If I remember there is 8 bolts... 2 for the core support, 2 on the fenders by the windsheilf washer sort of, 2 when you open of the doors, and 2 under neath the fenders.
    I think it would be easier to take the hood off first than do it. You have to have the hood up to get most of them out, and also with mine it took a lot of wiggling to get out, so with the extra weight it may be harder.