Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front clip swap issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by got_mud, Nov 30, 2004.

1. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

i am putting a clip off an 81 custom deluxe c10 on to my 75 burb frame with the 88 obs cab and can't get it to line up. when i had the clip off the burb on there it looked like i didn't even need to shim it. if i line up the new clip with the cab, the core support is 2.5 inches back and 1.25 inches up from where it should be to bolt up. any thoughts? i always thought the front clips from 73-87(91) were swappable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also- is it possible to have a 'dial-up killin' "here's my trimmed fender" post with pics of all of them in one spot? i want to trim mine so i can keep from cutting my rubbers and i want to compare trim styles. i think i like the way rene did his.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Not sure why you're front clip doesn't line up. Maybe some difference between pick-up frames and 'Burb frames or something?

As for the way I trimmed my fenders, I did them from the inside out. If you look at the inside of the fender when it's not on the truck you can see where the inner bolts up to it. I cut slightly below that line, lopped the fang off just below the core support and angled the rear part...then blended the whole thing using a flap disc.

Once I had the first one done I traced and cut a template to do the other front. then I modified the template slightly and did my rear with the same arch and curve

Rene

3. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

i can't see there being any difference in the clips. my old one lined up. the cab is still lined up and bolted to the frame. its like the new front clip is tweaked or something. may just need a new set of eyes on it to figure it out.

4. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

I am not sure if you said you swapped out core supports or not but when the grill style switched over you need to get the core support that goes with the same year set. like I believe the 73 - 80 are the same and then 81 through 88 and the 89 -91 on subs and blazers are of their on kind. But I would swear to this. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

the front end i bought off ebay was complete. i took the old hood, fenders and core off the truggy and went to put the new clip on complete less hood and with the fenders bolted up to the cab the core is too far off to even get the bolt through the bushing mount hole. i'm gonna give it a few more looks and then i'm selling the new stuff and sawzalling the old setup and puttin it back on.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i may be seeing things but it almost looks like the cab is too far back o the frame. i almost looks like you have a bit of room between the engine and the cab. i know mine doesn't have that much room. maybe the front mount on the burb is back a little more than the other vechicles. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

nah. thats just trickery. i didn't have the booster mounted on the cab yet. i can't think that its different, like i said- the old front clip bolted up perfect. ima gonna have to say screw it on this. these fenders are too nice to hack up anyway.