Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front clip swap..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79k5383, Mar 20, 2004.

1. 79k5383

79k5383 Registered Member

I am a newbie to this forum but I am very active in many other forums, I have a 89 K-5 and a 79 K-5. I know all 80's years front clips are interchangeable, My friend just told me, to put the clip from the 89 on my 79 i would have to lengthen the frame...... Is this true or is it a direct Bolt On. He said the older fenders are shorter. The 79 I got has 4k original miles on it, but is a bit beat up due to being used to plow a lot its whole life. However it was kept indoors. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

whoever told you that you have to lengthen the frame is full of sh!t. In order to put an 80's from clip on a 70's rig, all you have to change is the hood, fenders(inner and outer)and core support. You DO NOT have to lengthen the frame /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

3. 79k5383

79k5383 Registered Member

THANX!!!! Yea I suspected he was, although he does know his Chevy trucks, he has about 8 or 9 full size pickups, but i think he is after something else here, He really really wants that clip for himself. and i dont want to give it up. So thanks again.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's an easy swap except for the way the 73-80 hood hinges on the vehicle. If you can manage to get them right next to each other and look at that part of the cab then you'll see what I mean. Other than that, everything else is bolt on. You'll want to keep the core support mounts with their respective frames though.

The cab part of the swap is too much work for me to want to mess with.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Most of the parts bolt on. The only things you have to make fit, are the hood hinges. They get recessed into the cowl panel. You will need the wiper pivots and all the cowl trim from the newer truck. Unless you don't care about the cowl panel. I did the nose swap on my 76 and my 73.