Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front coil suspension on old chevy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kevin wcmo, Jan 25, 2006.

1. kevin wcmo

kevin wcmo Registered Member

i have a 70 3/4 ton 4x4 that has a mid to early seventys dana 44 and a 14 bff. i am in the process of starting to rebuilt from the ground up. i would like to upgrade the front suspension to get a better ride than the 4 inch rough country and blocks that was in it when i bought it 15 yrs ago. i am going to put the 64's in back with a shackle flip. i am still trying to get 4-5 inch lift when i am done with 33's bfgs. the vehicle is not going to be a rock crawler. its main use will be pulling a gooseneck and other farm duties. just tired of getting my kidneys beat up. insterested in a three or four link possible. can fab alot of the stuff my self just need a direction to go in. thanks for the info in advance.

kevin

2. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Coils would ride better, but cost a ton more to do than just going to a better leaf spring. Get some Tuff country or BDS springs as they have a much softer spring rate than your rough country springs. I think more will chime in, but the softer spring will ride a lot better than stock or RC springs....

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

shackle flip + long flat flexxy springs+ linked front and you wanna tow a trailer. sounds like you are trying to build a trail rig to do double duties as a work truck.

for the front I'd rather put in a set of 73 to 91 front springs (like doing a set of 52's in a that year range of truck)

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Search the topic, a long time ago I posted the p/n for a Rauncho spring that used to be listed as a K5 "Pre-runner" spring. This p/n is not in the applications listing anymopre, only in the p/n's listing. So you won't find it by looking up any particular model truck.

I have them under the front of my SB powered Sub and they ride great. I've occasionally DD'd the Sub and pounded them in Baja during the '01 1000 My kidneys didn't know the difference btwn the Sub and my normal DD. They're pretty reasonably priced too. They have something like 9 thin leaves, which is what you want instead of a few thick leaves.

5. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

if you watch TV they just did this on a sub on extream 4x4 using brackets from a doge

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Kevin,

Anything other than a Rough Country spring will be SOOOO much better than what you are experiencing now!!!

I don't think you need to go 3-link or 4-link to get what you want. The Rough Country springs are something like 700 Lb/in rate springs (I had them on my truck when I bought it! YUCK!) A nice set of Tough Country springs would be a lot softer and would be a simple change. The HD versions are something like 495 Lb/in and the EZ Rides are even softer at something like 395 Lb/in.....