Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front cross member replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blizzybuilder, Jan 31, 2001.

1. blizzybuilder

blizzybuilder Registered Member

In my 79 K5 the front cross member is snaped, is there any way I could replace it. And how would I go about doing it?

2. KENBARBOUR

KENBARBOUR Registered Member

Mine is cracked, the one under the motor mounts. You can grind down the rivets and punch them through. Then find a good one from the boneyard and bolt it in with some grade 8 bolts. I'm hoping ORD makes a HD one to go along with their crossover steering kit.
    Is anybody else's cracked?
    Is this commen?

3. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

mine is cracked too. i want to replace it. but i am worried if i remove it the frame might shift and i will have a hell of time lining it back up. i was told to weld a diamond shape to it. i have thought of making my own crossmember out of tubing rather than a regular one, it will hold up much better and be much stronger. anyone else have any input?

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Depdog did a review of his cross-over steering conversion and part of it required a new cross member. If I remember he had some shop drawings of the tube cross member he fabricated. It looked quite heavy duty. Only one problem, I can't remember where I saw the article [​IMG] It either on this site somewhere or on Off-Road.com

Rene

[​IMG]

5. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Mine never cracked, but the bolts came loose all the time. I just did crossover and built a new one simular to Depdogs, but out of 2 X 2 X 1/4 tube instead of 1 X 2 like Dep. I also bent mine on a tubing bender rather than segementing it like Deps. I like the way it turned out. If I had a digital camera I woudl post a pick of it. I dont think that you can just get one out of the junk yard though. I had to cut my old one in half to get it out from between the frame rails. As far as line up it is not a problem. Just take a floor jack with a 2 X 4 and gently jack up the motor at the harmonic balancer to realign the holes. You can see the one Depdog made on the main page under project vehicles I believe.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken