Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front cross member with a doubler ideas?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Jun 24, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I tried searching, but found very little. So far I found ORDs design and also BILLY RAY's design. I like how ORD was able to still run the dual exhaust. Not sure if BILLY RAY is going to be able to do that. I want to stick with duals.

Really what I am looking for are pictures of what people have done. As it sits now, my front driveshaft goes directly into where a cross member would be. I have about 8 inches of lift.

Anyone help with some pictures?

Thanks
    Ken H.

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Most like will have to go total custom or as other's have done modify an existing one to go over/under the driveshaft and exhaust pipe(s). Keeping the crossmember higher is almost always better, but sometimes not practical. Talk to the local Metal Fabricator and they should be able to give you good ideas, supplies, and maybe do it for you if you do not have the equipment/time.

3. four_by_ken

I am already going full costom. Rear is done. Fabricator is a very good friend of mine and willing to try about anything. So, just looking for what others have done.

Ken H.

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Has anyone tried using a carrier bearing on the front crossmember to move the output to a stock location?

5. four_by_ken

All I see this creating is more fabrication than a custom cross member. and more parts to break. And a shorter front driveshaft.

(Not being a smartass...) Why would you want to do this?

Ken H.

6. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Ken, I pulled all of my pictures off the "Ride Board" when Steve was having problems a while back but I'll try to explain what I'm doing whith mine. The mounts for the Cad500 had to be moved forward, the TH400 sets in place and then I built a adapter to the NP203 from 1.25" steel plate with a couple of extra holes in the upper corners. I have ball joints that attach at those corner holes with braces that run down on a angle to the frame rails where I have motor mounts inside the frame rails that the braces attach to. This works like a bridge and allows plenty of room for the front drive shaft. I am putting similar one on the NP205 but it is harder to explain. I am still machining some of the parts but I should be able to but pictures up in about 2 weeks. I know this is not the easy way to go but I want a flat belly pan from rail to rail. Good Luck

7. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

If you can find the tech article on my three link front suspension there is a picture of my front crossmember. It is very strong and supports the center link of my suspension.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of over the top crossmember
    still think only one is needed

9. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Man do you think I would go with out dual exh. I DON'T THINK SO. Take another look at my pics. you will see both pipes. The bad thing is I made the crossmembers out of wood first them out of steel but I tossed it when I was done /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I would of sent the models to ya. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmm, I would like to see your cross member and adapter when you get a chance...