Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Crossmember Cracks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sandy78, Jan 11, 2003.

1. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

I just installed the ORD Steering brace, and the frame looked great. However, I was changing oil today and noticed a crack in the bottom lip of the front crossmember right under the fuel pump. Anybody else had these? Is there a known cause? Is welding it up a valid fix? Thanks for any info.

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

All I can tell you is that every Chevy 4x4 engine crossmember I have ever looked at had that crack right there. I'm not saying every truck has it, just that all the ones I've looked at has.
    Some of the guys here have just welded it up and crossed their fingers. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    I cut mine completely off and installed the MOO engine crossmember. GLad I did now since I'm going crossover.
    -- Mike

3. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

The most extreme and dangerous breakage I have seen was on a 76, which a friend bought used. When I was parting the truck out 2 years later I found that the frame was broken completely in half behind the steering box, the front crossmember was cracekd badle on the driver side, and broken in half on passenger side, and the passenger side frame was torn and cracked right above the x-member. The only thing that had been holding the whole front of the truck together were the leaf springs. Scary!!!

4. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Pictures anyone?

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I bet it flexed good.
    LOL
    -- Mike

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I agree with above.
    every 4x4 chev has that crack
    the later years chev has changed the crossmember a few times
    adding a lip and an angle bracket riveted in the area

7. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

Thanks all! I think I'll weld it and forget it for now. After looking at it a bit more, it seems to support a lot or most of the pass. side motor mount. Maybe that's what cracks them? Anyway, thanks for the info.

8. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Mine cracked there and cracked through 3 weld-ups. When I pulled the motor, I put in the MOO crossmember and poly motor mounts. I am very happy with both.

9. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

My '80 K10 truck wasn't cracked, but the previous owner had welded quite a few places where the original rivets must have come out. He did a crappy job welding them, because I knocked all of his welds out with a ball peen hammer. I replaced all of the missing rivets with grade 8 bolts. That was 11 years ago, haven't had a problem since!

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

my 76 has cracks left and right. all over. but my 74 is fine.
    Grant

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ONLY PUT IN THE MOO CROSSMEMBER IF YOU HAVE AT LEAST 4" OF SUSPENSION LIFT (ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif). Had that happen on the 78 (stock height) and in the same spot on the crossmember. Removed the old crossmember (sawsall), ordered the MOO unit and installed (no room without lift). Had to get another crossmember, pull the motor, remove the frame mounts, install crossmember, re-install frame mounts, re-install motor. In the process, learned that the new crossmember was cracked as well /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Stop drilled the crack, reemed out the crack edges. Had a competent welder weld it up, and have not had any issues, even with the added stresses of plowing.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

BTT, as I just pulled the engine in my truck ('81 K5 frame) and found the passenger side of that front crossmember cracked as well.

Going to go looking at newer K5's for any factory reinforcement, then weld the crack up, and bolt in anything I can find to stiffen it.

Didn't really notice any problems associated with the crack, engine still sat up high, crack looks pretty rusty, so not a lot of movement, but it needs fixed.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hmm...I've never seen a crack on mine. Exactly where is it? Does anyone have a picture?

I've even got my old frame in the yard I could check out.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've borrowed dads digital camera, so pics should be forthcoming. But, if you are as impatient as I am, and the frame is bare...

Passenger side motor mount. The actual engine mounts are on short "stubs" that bolt to the front frame crossmember and the frame itself. IIRC (not looking at it now) there are two bolts on the side of the "stubs" that bolt them to the front engine crossmember. The front crossmember rear edge (towards back of vehicle) parallels the stub, kind of curves forward from the inner edge of the stub, then heads across to the other framerail.

Mines cracked right near that bend, close to the "stub". The crack starts engine side, and snakes its way towards what would be the passenger front corner of the truck.

At some point I believe GM got smart and riveted a reinforcement plate right into that area, but I don't have time to check the wrecking yards right now. If I can find one, I'm going to get it.

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status