Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front CV MAXED OUT??? Had it cut to length and....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Jun 29, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to MAX teh CV in a front shaft? (YES!) I installed my front shaft after having it cut down to the correct length (26.5"), and when I installed it, the CV binds on itself when turning. DAMNIT! Just threw $65 into the breeze! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

What do I do now? Anyone?!!!

-Dan

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

have u checked just to make sure that it isnt hittin the x-member. mayb some1 else can help u out that has had this trouble bfore

NITRO

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

cut all the stops off with your grinder ! thats what i did cuz mine bound also , but i dont have nearly as much lift as you tho its worth a try tho. if you needs pics i can get some sometime. - Andy

4. KRAZIE87K5

Andy - I was spinning up the grinder inches from the CV with that thought in mind this afternoon! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Just didn't have the balls! I was worried that removing material might make the shaft weak under my new crawl ratio and the torque of the 454! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I think I might shop it up.... its about time I experience some kind of carnage on the trails! SO FAR ***KNOCK ON WOOD*** I haven't broke yet.

Anyone have thoughts on grinding out the stops in the CV? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

-Dan

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

well.. IT DONT WORK NOW DOES IT11!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

So go for it dude!!! just leave soem meat on it and grind the stops...

Then when it breaks.. call jessie... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

i had to grind my stops down & then some, now it might hit the yoke end of the axle(just got my frontend re-geared so i haven't really 4x4 that much to tell yet if i need to grind the yoke but it looks close) running a 465/205 6" lift with ORD HD shackles on my k10

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

STEPHEN told me to do this /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. KRAZIE87K5

Aaron- AGREED! That's what I was thinking in the first place, but I didn't want to render it worthless either!

Josh- Ive got the SAME combo, but on a K5! 465/205 6"+1" w/ORD HD shackles. CV binds up pretty hard. I'm going to have to grind a good amount out to allow it to move properly, let alone allow the front axle to flex! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Andy- Hell, if Steve said to do it, I'm going to the garage now! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Thanks for the input from everyone! I'm off to go grind all the stops out of the CV... I'll post the results when I'm done.

-Dan

9. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

This might be late, but grinding the stops is what I did to mine. Been running the shaft for years and haven't run into any problems.

Also did it for the rear CV.

/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. KRAZIE87K5

Good deal! I just took the grinder to the stops, and a few other edges that looked like they might cause problems... installed... and BADABING! Nothing rubs! So its all good! Thanks for the help guys!

-Dan

11. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

You will need to grind the tabs off on the CV to make it work. I had to on two different driveshafts! Take a pic for me and I will edit the image showing which ones to grind.

Oops, just noticed you fixed it. But, did you check it by installing the shaft on the transfercase first, then spinning it around to check that you are getting enough droop when it cycles? Reason I am asking, you can have major failure when a CV binds.

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Hey Krazie, if you installed your zero rates in the front make sure you RTI your truck. I did at Carlisle on our 25* ramp and found out with my 3/4" zero rates my draglink hit the spring.
    [​IMG]

13. KRAZIE87K5

I spent 1/2 hr. on the phone with ORD when I made the order for my Zero Rates. I actually brought that clearance subject up to them since my current setup occasionally has problems with interference between the passenger spring and the drag link!

[image]http://community.webshots.com/photo/30767410/42376252wZHfyI[/image]

After talking to them about a spacer for the steering arm... I decided not to relocate the front axle... just to save myself a headache...

Thanx for the advise though Wayne! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

-Dan

14. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

whew. hooray for this thread. To make a long story short, I had a 4" lift on my K20 and no problems with the front.. Now its on another K20, but with a th350/np205 instead of the th350/np203.. I used the original front shaft from the sm465/np205 truck, and there is no WAY its going to work! I guess because its shorter and therefor the angle is steeper. Pretty bogus, I thought I got lucky with that front driveshaft but I was wrong. I guess I can grind the CV but-- its just an inch or two too short (splines start to show on the slip yoke when extended) /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I cant beleive I have to grind this sucker on a 4" lift!! it might be more like 5" but still...

oh well. glad to hear others have had this problem

mike

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

to correct the angles it is time to cut n turn the dif
    I have 10" springs and no cv issues, and no doubler to lengthen the shaft

16. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

mj , i dont think it would be worth the work in the front to cut and turn it , besides most the other other guys dont have the equipment of the $ to do such a mod . Your suggetion would be best tho in the long run <maybe> .