Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front D44 to 8 lug conversion, will the old calipers and bearings adapt ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglychevyZZ4, Aug 3, 2002.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Ok, got my /forums/images/icons/wink.gif 1-TON 14FF /forums/images/icons/wink.gif , now ive found my 8 conversion stuff, but do I have to change the calipers too? and can I also reuse the bearings? thery are all new /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    and also the spindle nuts? hubs?

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Calipers yes, bearings maybe if the new stuff has the same size spindle as the old then yes. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. uglychevyZZ4

Do you know if the hubs and spindle nuts etc... will cross over?

4. uglychevyZZ4

Anybody here? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

what year conversion parts did you get.anything up to 76 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton used same spindle and bearings.then they both changed and neither is interchangeable.if you get the whole setup from the spindle out you can use all of the parts from the donor axle.unless the bearing look bad.then it will cost 50 dollars for both inner and outer bearing on each side.but then you at least know they are new and shouldnt have problems.the calipers are the same on 3/4 and 1/2 ton but in 76 they also changed the 3/4 ton caliper to a larger piston caliper or so i have heard.but the original calipers that are on your truck will still bolt up and work well with the conversion.i was also told that the 10 bolt calipers still bolt on the same also so those could be used if that is what u got.im also doing the conversion but am waiting on parts also. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif .seems like something always comes inbetween getting something done.either waiting for or looking for the right parts and money issues.ive still got to find rims and tires before i can do anything.

6. uglychevyZZ4

thanks Hombre /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif i have a 77, will this all still apply?

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Read this info: /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    GM has two different types of axles: the "first design" and the "second design". For those who dont know the difference, the "first" goes from 73-76. The "second" goes from 77 to 91. Some differences are:

1. Backing plates are ALL diffferent. Both 1/2 and 3/4 ton for both designs are NOT the same thing. 3/4 tons are larger diameter than the 1/2 tons. There are currently 6 different types of backing plates. The 1/2 ton has the 73-76, 77-80, and 81-91. 3/4 ton is the same years, but only bigger around.

2. Bearing hub and rotors are different. There are 4 types. 73-76 use a smaller wheel bearing on both the 1/2 and 3/4 ton. The 1/2 ton bearing hub is an internal drive. 3/4 tons were available in both the internal and external drives. 77 and newer bearing hubs are the same size wheel bearing. 1/2 and 3/4 tons are all internal drives. The differences in the rotor diameter is the fact that the 3/4 tons are larger around than the 1/2 tons. This is why the backing plates are larger around than the 1/2 tons. If you use a 1/2 ton backing plate on a 3/4 ton rotor, the caliper will NOT even align up with the bolts. If the 1/2 ton rotor is used with the 3/4 ton backing plates, the caliper will NOT have enough pad contact with the rotor.

3. Spindles. 73-76 are one type only. They are "first design" small bearings. 1/2 and 3/4 ton spindles are interchangable. 77-91 spindles are "second design" and all interchangable between 1/2 and 3/4 tons. You cannot use a first design spindle with a second design bearing hub &amp; rotor. The hub will wobble in place. If the second design spindle is used with a first design bearing hub, the hub will not even go on at all.

4. D44 and 10B axle shafts are not interchangable. The D44 shafts measure: right - 36.13"
    left - 18.31"
    10B shafts measure: right - 35.46"
    left - 19.15"

5. Steering knuckles. D44's have the infamous "flat top" knuckles on the passenger side. These are good for the crossover steering for where the steering arm is mounted on top of the knuckle after machine work and drilling has been done. The 10B knuckles have NO flat surface whatsoever. Machine work would be excessive to make the crossover work and therefore would be easier and cheaper to locate the correct knuckle off a D44.

All in all, when doing a swap like this, try to round up the parts off one truck to use on the other. Such parts to swap over would be: backing plates, spindles, bearing hub &amp; rotors, and if desired for crossover steering, the knuckles.

The knuckles do NOT need to be changed if you do not plan on the crossover steering.

It all boils down to this: D44 and 10B parts ARE interchangable from the knuckles out. Anything else from the knuckles in is NOT interchangable.

ALL calipers on both D44 and 10B are compatible with either axle. Even the first and second design axles are compatible with BOTH 1/2 and 3/4 ton calipers. So, whatever swap you plan on doing, you can retain your stock calipers.
    When stepping up to the big D60, this is a whole different ball game. Nothing is interchangable from the D44 and 10B to the D60.

[/ QUOTE ]

8. uglychevyZZ4

Yer awsome, thanks!! but i do not have a 10 bolt, i have a D44, just not a 8 lugger yet. but all that helped alot!