Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front D60 Diff. Protection???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazen_md, Dec 8, 2002.

1. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

What is a good product to protect the front diff on my front D60. As far as bashing up against rocks and stuff like that?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You can buy the little rollcage thingys for them on E-bay, but I prefer Avalanche Engineering's Rock Rings.

[​IMG]

These ones are available at http://www.ronscustomshop.bigstep.com/

[​IMG] </font color>

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I like Rons Custom Shop guards. They are steel bar not junky tube.

[​IMG]

I have them on both the front and rear of mine and I will be buying another set for Donna's K5 soon.

4. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

I like my MOO unit /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I like Rons Custom Shop guards. They are steel bar not junky tube.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tube is actually stronger than solid bar. Why? Cause you have 2 diameters to fail vs just the 1 with solid bar. Thats why you'll find that tie rods and drag links these days are tubing. Not to mention the less weight involved.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That makes no sense. If you are talking same material type and dia, tube will bend first. The only way tube would be better is if you compared only on the basis of weight. Think of it this way, what is stronger thin wall or thick wall? Still don't believe, that a piece of bar stock &amp; a piece of black pipe, apply pressure and see which yields first.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

another way of thinking about it is this. surface area. almost twice as much with tube compaired to solid. you have to streach more surface area to bend. granted thin wall is weak anyway.
    take a section of rebar about 3 feet long. bend it. easily done.
    take a section of tube with the same diameter and a nice sized wall. try bending it. you can do it, but it is easier.
    by the way, if you dont belive me, spend the 15 dollars for the stuff and do it. i argued this point with my dad for a week. he is an enginer, he knows whats up. went and bought the stuff and proved myself wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Grant

8. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i just put a MOO cover on my 14 bolt and love it, i would have to say that provide more protection than the "roll cage" type because they cover the diff 100% so sneaky pointed rocks can git caught between the bars and you get extra fluid capacity so they can stay a bit cooler. Another cool thing about the MOO cover is Steve can make one with a mount for a /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifhydralic ram

9. FWP

FWP CRS

MOO all the way, IMHO, I beat the crap out of mine (dang Chevy hoods/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)......

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Look at the diameter of the tubing for a tie rod and then look at a diff guard. I do not think I would trust a 7/8" tube. BTW I have seen JUNKY tube diff guards fail. I am also not fond of the rock ring since all it protects is the ring gear.

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Ok, so what is the magic wall thickness that tube becomes stronger? And what materials? Your test fails you w/ 1/2" dia, 10 ga, aluminum vs. 1/2" aluminum bar stock. It also fails w/ several plastics. Will try later w/ wood &amp; steel.

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i used stainless and rebar both of 1/2 inch.
    stainless tends to be a bit thicker on the walls, but not always. im not sure what thickness was it was 3 years or more ago.
    Grant

13. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

While you are right that tube can be stiffer than solid stock given the right wall thickness, you must also take into account impact resistance and the ability to handle multiple impacts.

I saw, what looked like a brand new tube guard, collapse on a Heep. The rock dented the tube then it buckled until it touched the diff cover. Saved the gears, but the guard was a one shot deal.

Solid stock might have bent, but would not have lost all its strength as the tubing did when it crushed. Plus you can bend the solid stock more or less back into the original shape, that would be difficult with a crushed tube.

For the long term, the more dents in the tubing the weaker it will get. Just something to think about if you plan on needing/using/abusing the guard.